bought a used 2.8kb cobra, no oil in blower, oil in TB and elbow

blknredsnake

Established Member
I bought a 04 cobra on the forums here its a built 2.8kb car, upon my shop taking the car in they heard some noise from the blower and checked the oil stick and saw no oil and using a flash light there is no oil in the blower. We then took the inlet off and found blower oil in the throttle body and the elbow. Car is making 27lbs of boost according to seller and its vented to atmosphere. Does this mean the front seals are shot? Can I get away with filling it and seeing what happens with the oil level?

Turbo96'Cobra

Mongoose Hunter
Established Member
I bought a 04 cobra on the forums here its a built 2.8kb car, upon my shop taking the car in they heard some noise from the blower and checked the oil stick and saw no oil and using a flash light there is no oil in the blower. We then took the inlet off and found blower oil in the throttle body and the elbow. Car is making 27lbs of boost according to seller and its vented to atmosphere. Does this mean the front seals are shot? Can I get away with filling it and seeing what happens with the oil level?

I would call Mike at Kenne Bell and talk to him and see what he has to say. (909) 941-0985

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Great advice....Mike helped me out when I had a question about my KB fuel rails. Might take some persistence and timing but keep trying if you don't get through right away.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
If it is indeed running 27#. The oil level would need to be very very low to keep from blowing the seals out.

blknredsnake

Established Member
If it is indeed running 27#. The oil level would need to be very very low to keep from blowing the seals out.

I understand the oil level needs to be lower but this seems extreme. Does the oil level have any other correlation besides the amount of oil that is covering the gears.

Users who are viewing this thread