Bought a engagement diamond today, got a question.

nodaksvt

ehhh?
Established Member
Today, I bought a E-ring .60ct diamond. Its a F VVS2 princess cut.

Now for you married and engaged folk, did you shop for the mounting or ring together or did you suprise her with it?

I would imagine that the traditional thing to do would be to suprise her with it, but since we are already planning on getting married and since this is something that she will be wearing for a very long time, would the census think that she should have some involvement in selecting what ring and setting its mounted on.?

Lemme know what you think.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Haha to the two answers before. Sounds like you have a nice diamond. I did everything...including getting it mounted. I asked enough questions to know what she wanted. You do that, you really can't go wrong and you can keep it some what a surprise. Best choice I have ever made! My fiancés friends tell her constantly that if they had their choice in a ring, it would look just like hers.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
It depends on the girl. If you know her well enough to know what she likes then do it yourself. If you are unsure of what she wants then have her go with you.

CBrowning84

Established Member
I had my girl show me a lot of rings that she liked and her favorites and actually had mine custom designed based off what i liked and thought she would like. It actually wasn't as much as you'd think...

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Totally surprised her. No better way and if you have to shop with her then she is not someone you want to Marry IMO.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Go ahead and put the barrel to your temple and squeeze the trigger.

LOL, J/K:dancenana: :dw:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I knew my wife liked princess cut so i got her a 1/3 ct colorless w white gold. I got it with one of those rAised mounts so it really standz out. Surprise her make it memorable marriage is a good thing.....sometimes. Jk mariage is awesome just make sure shes the one. I promised myself i was only gonna do it once no 2-3 xs a charm bs. Lol

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Depends. Will and I went shopping together, since it is a huge investment and he wanted to make absolutely sure I'd be happy with it. With a friend of ours, I talked rings with her and surfed a few sites, got an idea of what she wanted, and reported back to her now husband. He had a pretty good idea, just wanted to verify.

Silver03

Established Member
I proposed giving her a solitaire band, we then went and shopped for the ring that she wanted. When spending that kind of money, why risk her not being 100% happy with it?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I did it the easy way. I just caught a hot chick in a pit and called her my wife. It was a lot cheaper, and only $50 an hour for the backhoe rental to dig the pit. Took about 3 hours.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I did it the easy way. I just caught a hot chick in a pit and called her my wife. It was a lot cheaper, and only $50 an hour for the backhoe rental to dig the pit. Took about 3 hours.

LOL

this is good thinking, ill have to try it out.

nodaksvt

ehhh?
Established Member
Lol good responses everyone. I poked around to see what she wanted and I was a little off in what I like the mounting to be and what she likes. I like the clean and simple look where the diamond is the focal point, and she likes having a few more rocks in there. Looks like she might have to find the mounting.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Lol good responses everyone. I poked around to see what she wanted and I was a little off in what I like the mounting to be and what she likes. I like the clean and simple look where the diamond is the focal point, and she likes having a few more rocks in there.

nothing wrong w/ a lil more bling! :rockon:

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
You should be able to look at her jewelry and figure out what she would like. IMO it kills the surprise which is a great part of the proposal.

I somewhat agree, but..

My fiance didn't wear any rings or other jewerly before she met me. We went looking together to find out what she wanted, since she couldn't really describe what she was looking for. Once I got a clue what she would like, I went and bought it without her knowing, telling her we'd have to wait since I was broke. Worked out well, she loves it, and all her friends give me lots of praise for the one I picked out.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
O3DSGSNAKE....
who is that in your sig? my wife was like "whos that girl and why is she on there 3xs". lol just wondering

oilwell1415

Established Member
How you handle it depends on her. Would she prefer a surprise or to have some say in the matter. I went and picked out a ring myself and proposed without us ever talking about marriage. I searched all over the state and ended up finding the ring just down the road from home. She never wears much jewelry, so I had to put some thought into it. All I really knew was that she wasn't a show off and would appreciate a quality diamond more than a large one. Everytime we get it cleaned the jeweler comments about how nice it is.

Users who are viewing this thread