Bottoming out at highway speeds

01yellercobra

Established Member
If your car bounces it needs new or upgraded shocks/struts. I have poly bushing up front and FTBR stuff out back. While on the stiff side it doesn't bounce. My main rubbing issues are the back tires on really hard dips. And that's usually only if I have a passenger and a full tank of gas. Though when I was really low I was told I shot sparks from the pipes under the diff. The clamp bolts were a little wore down too. I've since raised the car a little.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The steeda sport springs with tokico adjustable s definitely ride better than the old h&r setup did. Leave em too loose and you might still smack things under the car but about halfway they ride nice

Still debate making the coil over switch

Dewalt03Cobra

NASCAR Fanatic
Established Member
me 32 is absolutely correct, vert springs are softer than coup springs. I had the same problem with my car with Eibachs and there is no mods other than replacing the springs or going coilovers which is where I finally found the solution. I owned Eibach Pro , H&R, and BRM kits. The Eibach looked the best but tore the hell out of the bottom of the car, H&R and BRM were better but only slightly. I ended up with the MM coilover Front and Rear kits with the Bilstien shocks and that made all the differance.

01yellercobra

Established Member
me 32 is absolutely correct, vert springs are softer than coup springs. I had the same problem with my car with Eibachs and there is no mods other than replacing the springs or going coilovers which is where I finally found the solution. I owned Eibach Pro , H&R, and BRM kits. The Eibach looked the best but tore the hell out of the bottom of the car, H&R and BRM were better but only slightly. I ended up with the MM coilover Front and Rear kits with the Bilstien shocks and that made all the differance.
Do you mean BMR?

AnarchyVA

Established Member
I've done two things that I hope will mostly take care of my problem. The convertibles have an X brace under the oil pan that the coupes do not have. Most of my bottoming out was on that brace. I removed it as it seems a lot of guys with convertible 03/04 Cobras have. I also replaced the Bilstein B8s (which Maximum Motorsports believed COULD be MY problem) with some Koni yellows.

So far after one weekend of driving around it seems to be better. But I am not 100% convinced yet.

Rambro

Established Member
IMO it depends on how low your car sits, and how extreme the transitions on the highway are. New shocks aren’t going to keep it from bottoming out on those transitions. My cobra did it with factory shocks and struts with only 24k miles. Be careful.

Users who are viewing this thread