Boss intake worth putting on?

BADSEED

Established Member
so i have JLT cai sitting in my garage right now and ordering O/R X next week sometime with tune(AED). my question is what are you guys putting down for power and what were mph and et gains in 1/4. im prob only going to spin it around 7200-7300rpms still have stock clutch and trying to make it last till next winter when i order vortech SC. I'm looking to trap 120 if its possible with this setup

Last edited:

BADSEED

Established Member
the plan is
AED tune
BOSS IM
JLT CAI
LETHAL O/R X-pipe
GT500 AB
and maybe over axle pipes if there worth the money

will be ordering bmr upper and lower, rel bracket, ford k springs, 1 piece DS and last on the list will be rts welds on 28in slicks

Last edited:

momogt

Established Member
some say yes some say no i would like to know myself. but im going with longtube headers first.also what gears are you running i have heard that makes a difference also

Zevox

Established Member
I raced two different Mustangs with longtubes, stock intake manifold, custom tune, and 3.31's and they beat me. I was at their door or so by the time we let out. Those 3.31's pull my poor car when its time to shift.

Raced another guy with Boss Intake, AED tune, and 3.31's and he killed me. The race started them same as the other two, I got the jump on him and he gained some ground back on the 3-4 shift. As soon as I grabbed 5th he was still in 4th and pulled me by two car lengths almost immediately.

At the same time the guy with the Boss intake dynos less than one of the longtube cars but the extra RPM range from the Boss gives it a major advantage at high MPH racing. All of these races were from 3rd gear on, not sure how different it would have been from a dig.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
The Boss IM topic has been beat to death...tons of threads on here about this subject. If your only willing to rev it to 7200-7300 stay with the stock intake...the Boss IM needs 7500+ to reach max potential.

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
There is so many answers to this question... I will give you the short answer for running it on a GT Coyote engine... yes if you use a single speed transmission and run at peak HP all day long past manufautcures stated red line of engine, then yes... spend the money and enjoy

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
Some people have no issues shifting at 7800rpm in any gear. I couldn't shift into 2nd above 7000 and occasional lock out in 3rd and 4th at 76-7700rpm.

Since, I did a McLeod RST twin disc, and can shift any gear at 7800rpm flawlessly. If I were to do it again, I'd wait to put in a twin disc then put the boss intake on.

Especially only 7200-7300rpm shift points. Stock intake will be faster, unless you shift the boss at 76-7800

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
I personally have zero issues shifting at 7850 rpm and have been doing it for 11k miles now. As others have stated, you must be willing to shift the car at this RPM in order to truly see the benefits, as well as having a tune from an individual that fully understands TiVCT and how to make proper Cam timing adjustments to maximize the Boss 302 IM. I can also tell you that my tuner specifically makes several small tweaks to resolve the lockout/shifting idiosyncrasies. Which is probaly why I've had zero shifting issues.

Incase you're also wondering, the Cobrajet Setup is certainly better if I were to do it all over again I'd obviously go that route(Did my boss prior to the CJ being available) and in fact intend to over the winter.

Hope that helps buddy.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I personally have zero issues shifting at 7850 rpm and have been doing it for 11k miles now. As others have stated, you must be willing to shift the car at this RPM in order to truly see the benefits, as well as having a tune from an individual that fully understands TiVCT and how to make proper Cam timing adjustments to maximize the Boss 302 IM. I can also tell you that my tuner specifically makes several small tweaks to resolve the lockout/shifting idiosyncrasies. Which is probaly why I've had zero shifting issues.

Incase you're also wondering, the Cobrajet Setup is certainly better if I were to do it all over again I'd obviously go that route(Did my boss prior to the CJ being available) and in fact intend to over the winter.

Hope that helps buddy.

A tune won't solve lock out issues. Twin disc is really the only permanent fix. Things like clutch line, trans fluid etc will help. Not solving it though.

If your talking about the hold rpm for 1 second after wot, I have it to. Didn't help though. I think some people are just lucky, why idk.

boduke0220

Established Member
Id only do a boss if you have a clutch ( because if your clutch starts going cookoo at 7800 your trans is toast) and are willing to port the intake manifold. thats just me though. Shaun ^^ had good results from it.

Users who are viewing this thread