Boss Intake is gone, New mods started!

Ratchet

Established Member
Over the last week or so I have put the car up on jackstands so I could pop the tires off the wheels and get them refinished. Also decided to take off the boss intake and go back to the stocker. But not before I cleaned it up a bit and color matched it. While the wheels were off to get a new finished I decided to do something about the brakes as well. So got me some satin black stove paint and finished the brakes and rotor hats off as well. Now Just looking forward to getting my wheels back this week and almost finish off the look with the new opened ended monster lugs. Then I can test out my new 94 tune from JPC. The 91 tune feels pretty good as well, but yall know how that goes. lol Anyhow, here are some pics..:banana:

f3d4b68d-37ef-4e3f-b81a-719f4785c589_zps2f791488.jpg

stockintake1_zps8952fe1a.jpg

stockintake2_zps85091315.jpg

d52bdf0f-0d60-42c6-a306-328d6accf3b7_zpscf65be75.jpg

1e732229-0c5e-4aa9-b6e8-ee9ed2e29bbb_zps48b521a4.jpg

44108562-dd25-4768-b6ad-6e9cbde87e8f_zpsbfb8f266.jpg

8D0752F1-B8EA-4161-A18A-D252FA40FC4C-1763-00000385DE835DDF_zps8093669f.jpg

stockintake3_zps6f84d79d.jpg

Only other plans are BC coil overs, put the magna flow 3" tru X-pipe on over the next couple weeks, then over winter longer wheel studs out back, Sway bar relo brackets, maybe control arm relo brackets and an aluminum DS and loop. :beer:

Last edited:

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Cool idea on the intake. Still doesn't look as good as the boss imo. I would have went to the CJ intake if I were to hassle with tearing it down.

Ratchet

Established Member
Cool idea on the intake. Still doesn't look as good as the boss imo. I would have went to the CJ intake if I were to hassle with tearing it down.

Was no hassle actually... took me 35 mins to do the stock intake and 30 mins to put it back on. The money I got from selling the boss intake I can put towards mods that the car actually needs. Being that I am still on stock shocks and struts, I think that would be a good place to spend it. I don't feel like 2k for the CJ is anywhere near worth it at this point to me considering the meager gains it gets when you combine that with the hurt you have to put on the MT-82. Being on my second trans now and not having $6k to upgrade and having a baby coming next month... another blown MT-82 is not in the budget for a long while. haha:beer:

Ratchet

Established Member
Looks clean man, I like it. Didn't like the boss intake?
Not that I didn't like it... more I thought that for the minimal gains I saw (if any) with it the money would be better served going someplace else. Like getting rid of my stock shocks and struts or a driveshaft, that would probably give similar gains as the boss without blowing up another trans for me. lol I know some people have good luck with the MT-82, and I never saw one problem with mine, not one till I went to the track and tried to shift at 7500 rpm. End result of that night? 2nd and 4th gear syncros were gone and needed a new trans. I was lucky enough to get that one covered. No chance if it happened again tho. I need my car... and with a kid on the way next month the chance wasn't worth taking. :beer:

clean92lx

Established Member
Seems like a lot of people are moving away from the boss intake. Makes me feel better about not doing the boss intake I just don't feel like its worth the money and with 3.31's I don't need anything taking low end power away anyway!!

ExTurbo

Established Member
looks good, i talked myself out of the boss intake and went with the FR adjustable struts and 1" drop springs, what a difference it made in the handling department. i just cant see myself spinning it to 7500 enough to warrant the change since she starts to throw fits around the 7000rpm range :/ im gonna try the spring mod, and shifter and see if i can keep the MT82 together for a few years

Nuar

Established Member
Nice touch on the intake! I really dislike the look of the boss intake myself, the stocker with the cover looks 10 times better to me. I also agree that the gains of the boss intake are not worth the money or stress on the motor.

burke985

Established Member
I think it looks cool , i like the look of the Boss better but there's nothing wrong with that.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
im a fan of the looks of the boss intake manifold. but i like the stock intake as well. the one thing that i hate with passion is the engine cover. without the engine cover the stock manifold looks very sexy.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I've been thinking about just painting my stock intake the same color (or close to it) but just smoothed/clear finish and remove the texture.

Yours is actually painted, and not powdercoated, right?

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I've been thinking about just painting my stock intake the same color (or close to it) but just smoothed/clear finish and remove the texture.

Yours is actually painted, and not powdercoated, right?

its very difficult to powdercoat plastic. i am sure his is just painted.

Ratchet

Established Member
its plastic :lol1:
:-D
The intake is plastic? I though it was some type of cast metal/composite...I've never really felt or tapped it to see. LOL
Haha, yeah it's plastic and painted with an engine enamel! Lol:beer:
its very difficult to powdercoat plastic. i am sure his is just painted.
Correct!

im a fan of the looks of the boss intake manifold. but i like the stock intake as well. the one thing that i hate with passion is the engine cover. without the engine cover the stock manifold looks very sexy.
I could go either way on the looks department. I think they both look great!
Car looks great Ratchet, nice job.

Congratulations on the upcoming arrival of the baby.

Dan
Thanks Dan. Appreciate it! :beer:
Nice touch on the intake! I really dislike the look of the boss intake myself, the stocker with the cover looks 10 times better to me. I also agree that the gains of the boss intake are not worth the money or stress on the motor.
Yeah I guess I didn't have it in me to gamble with a second trans! Lol
Seems like a lot of people are moving away from the boss intake. Makes me feel better about not doing the boss intake I just don't feel like its worth the money and with 3.31's I don't need anything taking low end power away anyway!!
I had the right set up it seems. If I ever upgrade the trans i may go CJ or FI. :beer:

Ratchet

Established Member
First pic of the new finish on the Vossens. Starting to grow on me a bit. Heading out shortly to find a couple locations to do a photoshoot. They look totally diff in direct sunlight. So we'll see how that works. :beer:

912d6024-0af3-4aea-b555-39f028ed549f_zps35a50288.jpg

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
First pic of the new finish on the Vossens. Starting to grow on me a bit. Heading out shortly to find a couple locations to do a photoshoot. They look totally diff in direct sunlight. So we'll see how that works. :beer:

912d6024-0af3-4aea-b555-39f028ed549f_zps35a50288.jpg

are your wheel weights on the outside of the rim?! :dw::lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread