Boss IM with Airraid or CJ set up - possible FI in the future

TrackpackGT

Established Member
I'm either gonna start modding my 14 or get a new 15. It looks like the Boss is quite the cost effective way to go, you lose a little torque down low. It's my DD, I will run the dragstrip as well as some HPDE events. Eventually, I'd like to add a Paxton/Procharger/whoever style supercharger as I assume they're a little easier on the bottom end and I keep my front sway bar. I'd love to go turbo, but that's pretty serious money for me. (and I want my front SB). The CJ with a twin TB and CAI looks to make more torque and the same or more hp across the curve, I suspect it would make it a more fun DD as well. Quite a bit more money though. Would one shine much better with FI? I hear people making 650 rwhp reliably with the right tuner, not sure how true that really is, but I'd want to keep in conservative enough to get some life out of the bottom end. Thanks for any help.
Also looking at the FRPP X pipe unless there's a better option for about the same $. Plan to keep the stock manifolds as long as possible as they don't seem worth the $.

nosscort

Established Member
Stick with the boss.. the fab work for a CJ setup and the questionable to no gain over the boss manifold is not worth the extra 1xxx.xx to look cool..

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Kind of what I was thinking. Heck, I've seen 800+ turbo cars running the Boss. Looking for the next mod to do that will realize the most gain at the track and driving. Seems the Airaid CAI and custom tune might be the next step. It detonates now on the SCT provided tune and the tune I had done by Randy Carter, so I'm ready for someone else. I'd like to have one of our local Mustang guys tune it, but they are quite a bit more than Lund or AED. Probably because they're doing it on the dyno. I haven't seen a lot posted about them here tuning wise.

KushBandit

Established Member
If you're planning on forced induction, I'd get the Boss manifold. The Cobra Jet manifold is better for an NA setup, as it makes more torque and a bit more horsepower over the Boss. However, that's not really going to matter when you pump boost through it.

Side note, there is not extra fab work with the CJ manifold.

JTS_7

Established Member
If I was doing HPDE events frequently enough I would do an all out all motor build. Less stuff to go wrong, easier on parts. Also keeps the setup simple.

If it's occasionally and you're dead set on a power adder I would do a Paxton/Boss combo.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Yea, and I guess easier to manage coming out of turns. I will only go a few times a year. The dragstrip is much closer and quite a bunch of fun too though. I was a regular at the strip from 95-09.

nosscort

Established Member
You're correct in that aspect, however if he doesn't get a Centrifugal supercharger, there won't be any fabrication.

I am not sure you read the original post.. He stated he wants a supercharger ... so a boss manifold would suit his needs now and after he gets a centrifugal style blower.

KushBandit

Established Member
I am not sure you read the original post.. He stated he wants a supercharger ... so a boss manifold would suit his needs now and after he gets a centrifugal style blower.

I'm not sure you comprehended the title/post. He stated he's POSSIBLY going FI. Since you didnt clarify about the fabrication needed for a CJ manifold, I felt the need to add. No need to split hairs.

Last edited:

KushBandit

Established Member
^ re read the post.. not just title.

I did. He is asking if the Boss manifold with an Airraid CAI is better or worse than a CJ manifold with the FRPP 65MM throttle body and CAI. Then he's asking which would be better if he went FI in the future.

I clarified that the CJ manifold doesn't need extra fabrication if staying NA, since you only said "it needs extra fabrication", which is only true if he went with a Centrifugal supercharger.

I'm comprehending just fine.

Last edited:

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Either stock or Boss. Look how fast JPC has been on a stock IM... Just saying :) Harder to keep an oval intake on than a round one too, Thing might keep popping off under big boost too. Cant say ive heard any of the fast shops say "Turbo needs a CJIM" They always shy away from it man that's the truth.

Last edited:

JTS_7

Established Member
Either stock or Boss. Look how fast JPC has been on a stock IM... Just saying :) Harder to keep an oval intake on than a round one too, Thing might keep popping off under big boost too. Cant say ive heard any of the fast shops say "Turbo needs a CJIM" They always shy away from it man that's the truth.

Last time I saw JPC @ NMRA they were using a CJ and flying.... Not sure if that has changed.

However imo, boss is better suited for Paxton so you can wind it out. Stock IM for turbo cars depending on power and rpm.

Juic3d went mid 8's on stock IM

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread