boss im vs cj im

Redgt12

Established Member
Planning on doing a manifold swap this winter, cant decide if the boss would suit my needs or the cobra jet. Anyone have experience on both or either one? On a side note, im aware the paxton can be hooked up with the boss, is that also possible with cobra jet? Just looking for opinions and what best route to go

2012 gt A6 3.31 O/R x, roush ab
thanks

Last edited:

Jinx.

Stig's Lazy Cousin
Established Member
Even with the mid range gains? I wouldn't mind the cost if I was going form stock to CJ. But I can understand your position if going BOSS to CJ

Angry50

Established Member
no experience with CJ. cost was too high. I know when I would run with the stock manifold the power felt flat at the top after the first shift and the BOSS helped with that. now each shift feels right in the meat of the power band

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
I share the opposite Opinion of Blazer707 while he's a highly intelligent guy and a big contributor to these forums. Every car is different,I noticed a major difference going from Ported Boss302 to Ported CJ IM, the torque comes in much smoother and sooner and the top end pulls harder than the boss.

This may not translate at the track as much as it does on the street. I can tell you from a roll racing perspective CJ w/ 3.31's is an absolute monstrosity, I love the setup and it was quite the noticeable difference between the two IM's. The main contributor to this is the massive inlet and the ability to throw the Monoblade at it flowing more CFM. Aside from that the differences between the two intakes isn't as much as one would think.

Now as far as the costs associated, the CJ is more expensive and if you already have a boss setup unless you're trying to squeeze every last ounce out of it N/A. Additional costs to go from one to other aren't at all the most cost effective. Hell you can buy a full nitrous kit for what it costs to upgrade, that being said. If you're stock, I'd most certainly jump right to the CJ setup, that's just me shop around the parts can be had rather cheap in comparison to some of the big box options out there.

As for using the CJ setup with power adders. A Nitrous kit has to be pieced together if you want to run it as a plate kit or plumb direct port, or tap the CAI for a nozzle. I've seen turbo kits that have pipes custom made to work with the CJ. Paxton or Vortech I don't think will fit, i've never seen anyone to date that's made it work anyway. Fab work will likely be needed from the Intercooler to the Intake manifold then a rubber that'll transition to 5" to wrap around Monoblade. I wouldn't use this on a stock longblock application, this IM favors high revs 7800-8000, I don't know about running 8-10#'s at those RPMs. I'm sure it'll run for a while and run damn good, just see a rod coming through the block.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
Mine was well worth it coming from the stock IM. Buy your CJ from a Ford racing rep ( got mine on this site from Steve at Tasca ) and you will save almost $400 off retail. I've broken down the math a few times now, and a max effort Boss set up is only like $200 cheaper (give or take) than a max effort CJ. Thats assuming you buy a throttle body and intake for the Boss as well, what tends to throw people off the CJ is just the high UP FRONT costs, but in the end they arent that far apart.

Last edited:

redline5.0

Established Member
I share the opposite Opinion of Blazer707 while he's a highly intelligent guy and a big contributor to these forums. Every car is different,I noticed a major difference going from Ported Boss302 to Ported CJ IM, the torque comes in much smoother and sooner and the top end pulls harder than the boss.

This may not translate at the track as much as it does on the street. I can tell you from a roll racing perspective CJ w/ 3.31's is an absolute monstrosity, I love the setup and it was quite the noticeable difference between the two IM's. The main contributor to this is the massive inlet and the ability to throw the Monoblade at it flowing more CFM. Aside from that the differences between the two intakes isn't as much as one would think.

Now as far as the costs associated, the CJ is more expensive and if you already have a boss setup unless you're trying to squeeze every last ounce out of it N/A. Additional costs to go from one to other aren't at all the most cost effective. Hell you can buy a full nitrous kit for what it costs to upgrade, that being said. If you're stock, I'd most certainly jump right to the CJ setup, that's just me shop around the parts can be had rather cheap in comparison to some of the big box options out there.

As for using the CJ setup with power adders. A Nitrous kit has to be pieced together if you want to run it as a plate kit or plumb direct port, or tap the CAI for a nozzle. I've seen turbo kits that have pipes custom made to work with the CJ. Paxton or Vortech I don't think will fit, i've never seen anyone to date that's made it work anyway. Fab work will likely be needed from the Intercooler to the Intake manifold then a rubber that'll transition to 5" to wrap around Monoblade. I wouldn't use this on a stock longblock application, this IM favors high revs 7800-8000, I don't know about running 8-10#'s at those RPMs. I'm sure it'll run for a while and run damn good, just see a rod coming through the block.

Are you email tuned from shaun or did you do a remote tune. I'm on a email tune and finally raced someone and was less then impressed with the out come and I have the same mods as you plus headers. I've yet to put mine on the dyno but maybe I was expecting to much out of e85 and the cj setup.

sean04

Established Member
I gained a little over a tenth and a couple mph with the cj setup over my boss mani. And for me it was worth it in looks alone. I think the cj mani looks Awesome

Users who are viewing this thread