Boss 330!

JMD0346

Established Member
Hey fellas. Got my new Boss 330 racing short block in today. I stayed with stock compression and Cubes. Sticking in a new clutch, head cooling mod, water pump etc... while Im in there. Wish me luck! Its my first engine build. Ive got a Ford Tech thats gonna help me set the cam timing and all so It should go pretty good.

Im gonna have it retuned in a week or so. Ill post up some info when i get it for those thinking of using Boss 330.

Anybody know how many miles one should put on before dynoing? I was thinking maybe 500 easy miles then romp on it.

04torchred

Established Member
Hey fellas. Got my new Boss 330 racing short block in today. I stayed with stock compression and Cubes. Sticking in a new clutch, head cooling mod, water pump etc... while Im in there. Wish me luck! Its my first engine build. Ive got a Ford Tech thats gonna help me set the cam timing and all so It should go pretty good.

Im gonna have it retuned in a week or so. Ill post up some info when i get it for those thinking of using Boss 330.

Anybody know how many miles one should put on before dynoing? I was thinking maybe 500 easy miles then romp on it.

Run non synthetic oil and you can heat cycle the rings on the dyno for break in. But go easy on the first few dyno runs. Like say up to 4000rpm for the first couple pulls. Then increase the rpm slowly and let the car cool after each pull. I don't really buy that 500 mile BS. Change your oil after the dyno session and check for any metal filings or what not.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Personally myself I'd do the 500 miles. It might be fine after 5 but you can bet you rear that it will be good to go at 500!

moddedmystic

Established Member

Ask your builder.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Ask your builder? He will tell him

"break it in like you stole it!"

If it is a race car then that is probably the way to do it. If he plans on running on the street and wants it to last a long time then I would follow the factory break-in procedure......... but that's just me.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member

I'm very pleased with mine...:beer:

oldmodman

Established Member
Al Papitto (your engine builder) has a great reputation. He has built some of the strongest modular engines ever to go down a strip.

Did you get your engine from lethal while they were running their special?

And as to break in. Fill it with 10-30 regular oil. Run it for about half an hour or until fully up to temp. Let it cool down all the way. Change oil again and run for 500 miles with regular oil. Then you're probably safe to switch to synthetic. The main thing that you want to avoid are long stretches on the freeway at a constant speed. And it's OK to go to full throttle, just don't go all the way to 6K for the first couple of hundred miles.

JMD0346

Established Member
Got her in this weekend. Running good so far. Im gona try to get up to ATS this week or next for a re-tune. God its hard not romping on it! Found out after further inspection i burnt more than one piston. I took out the worst and the bes and they were both scared. Id imagine all are. I havent figured out what happened yet but hopefully will when its datalogged. If everything checks out good all it can be was excesive heat Id guess.

Stayed tuned if youre interested.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
Hey man I just realized you are in Columbia. you ever head out to Jackson? Let us know how your car does at ATS.

Last edited:

MVD

Established Member
Just out of curiosity....what is the deal with their website??

www.boss330racing.com

I looked it up on the web and it matches what was in MM&FF a couple months ago, but the website seems to be having problems.

Anyone else notice this??

Users who are viewing this thread