Boss 302 w/torsen option compared to non/torsen package

04nccobra

Established Member
Getting close to pulling the trigger, on a low mileage mint 13 Boss. I just realized that the Torsen differential was only an option with the Recaro seat package. I assume since the car I am looking at doesn’t have Recaro seats it doesn’t have the Torsen differential.

My question is how will this play into occasional track days performance? Will the car be significantly slower than a torsen equipped version?

Ablaze

Established Member
I personally wouldn't bother buying a Boss if it didn't come with Recaros/Torsen.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
If it's a really good deal, you could always buy a low mile Torsen here and install it/have it installed.

04nccobra

Established Member
Well I am glad I learned about this prior to the purchase I just assumed all Boss models included the Torsen differential. I could purchase the differential and have the dealership install it but I really want to have a completely stock vehicle. So my hunt continues...

Last edited:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
If it's a really good deal, you could always buy a low mile Torsen here and install it/have it installed.

True, but the Recaro's are going to be very tough to find. If you're new to HPDE's then the Torsen probably isn't going to make any significant difference.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Well I am glad I learned about this prior to the purchase I just assumed all Boss models included the Torsen differential. I could purchase the differential and have the dealership install it but I really want to have a completely stock vehicle. So my hunt continues...

Torsen is about $800 plus install so really not a big deal. Again, the seats are another story. But you're going to get into HPDE's much then the car probably won't remain completely stock for long:)

senderofan

Established Member
Well.....Guess I have a pretty rare car if most have Recaro's and Torsen? I have regular seats and non Torsen. Better seats would be nice for the track....otherwise my little Boss is very enjoyable / capable on the track. No complaints here :).

DSC02689.jpg

DSC02688.jpg

DSC00516_zps73baebe3.jpg

DSC00517_zps2b118f15.jpg

I'd say if an opportunity presents itself....to purchase a Boss that speaks to you....Go For it! Whether it has all the options or not....it's still going to put a smile on your face :) :) :).

Wayne

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I believe in '13 a vast majority of the Bosses built have the recaros and torsion dif....

04nccobra

Established Member
Here are my present options. Mint 2013 15,500 miles $36,000.00 no option vehicle, Really nice 2013 37,000 miles Torsen & Recaros $35,500. Everything else is in the $39,000-$42,000 range. What I find amazing is many of the cars for sale out there have been sitting on the dealer lots for a very long while yet they won't deal. Another consideration is a new 15 Camaro 1LE after GM employee discount it's $35,000...

Last edited:

tek302

Established Member
If I had a choice and knew the boss would be handicapped by the transmission I would take the 1LE.

But I love my boss and wouldn't give it up now. I love how it turns everyone's heads.

Just beware of trans issues. My 4th gear just went out after 16k miles

F.D.Sako

Established Member
If you're not going to track the car a lot and keep it stock, then there's no problem with going with the base boss. The base model still comes with a clutch pack LSD, but it just won't be as durable as a torsen overtime (at a road course).

But, like mentioned, once you get bit by the track bug, the car will NOT stay stock. No matter how much you tell yourself that you won't modify, you'll end up making changes for safety and reliability reasons... At least that's how it started for me.

I also agree that the 1LE is a better bang for your buck as a track car (if you can tolerate the interior). But if you're not going to track much, the boss turns more heads and is nicer to be in for a cruise on weekends.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
Ran an auto cross X course with my, non-torsen equipped BOSS and took first place against several Torsen equipped. No complaints here either.

04nccobra

Established Member
Thank you for all the input but I think I am going to change direction and go with a new 1LE with GM employee discount and incentives I can pick up a new 1SS RS with Recaros and dual mode exhaust for $36,500 out the door.

Too many issues with the Boss have me concerned, the non torsion differential, transmission concerns, and just the general buying a used vehicle.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
I can't say that buying a GM is a good move over any Ford. Just my opinion. lol.

tek302

Established Member
Pretty good move to me. Buying a car that you don't immediately have to dump money into just for it to shift right. Also not having to worry about driving it hard and the transmission breaking on you.

Users who are viewing this thread