Boss 302 Short Block interchangeable with regular 5.0 heads/timing/parts?

avexhype

Established Member
Hi Team,

My question is will a Boss 302 short block work directly with all other long block components that will come from my regular 5.0? What parts are different between the two that and won't work being taken from the 5.0 longblock and bolting it on the Boss 302 short block? I understand that the heads, cams, intake, etc are all different and unique to the Boss 302 car, but we are strictly talking short blocks here.

Thoughts? Caveats?

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
the mounting of everything to the boss shortblock is exactly the same. A ford dealer under warranty will not let you pay the difference for the boss shortblock.

avexhype

Established Member
Thanks. What do you think would be their reasoning behind it? I'm sure it's a very PC answer to cover their ass for some reason, but I'm always curious as to why not since it comes from them and otherwise isn't any "extra work" (seemingly).

pullingees

Established Member
The reason they won't is to long of a list to even ask. I've offered the D.P $2500.00 to do the same in my old car and he said not gonna happen! And My dad knew him for 30 years!

avexhype

Established Member
Fine. I'll save myself the embarrassment of even asking lol.

Can I buy that from them at scrap price or something? If so i'd build that one up slowly.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
The old shortblock will go back for a core to FMC. You do not have the option to get back the engine when it is a warranty claim.

The reasoning behind not being able to put boss shortblock is when a warranty claim is processed they have to use the exact parts that went into the vehicle from the factory more or less.

50blackout

Established Member
Hey Op what happened to your car? Why did you have to get a new short block? Was it the BBQ ignitor tick?

avexhype

Established Member
Right now it's undergoing the battery of tests needed by the Ford Hotline.

Last edited:

50blackout

Established Member
I just got it on mine, and I'm trying to figure out if it's serious or not. Also guess when it happened: After an oil change just like everyone else!!! The car still drives great and there is no difference in performance. I have read over 20 different cases about this happening and Im not sure what to think. Half the dealers are saying this is normal and there have been dozens of people coming in complaining about it, but it does not "affect the longevity of the motor". Other people have had a tear down of their engine and found "metal flakes" in their oil.

On the other hand some people who have the tick have had oil analysis done on their engines, and everything comes back great. I'm going to try that and see how it looks.

Avexhype, let us know what the dealer says. Me and hundreds of other people are probably really interested.

Users who are viewing this thread