Boss 302 emissions not ready help

SHOdown220

Established Member
Hey guys hoping someone can help me out. My boss has a 2013 boss 302 and we had to replace a fuel inlet pipe for check engine light. We have that repaired and now trying to inspect the car we cannot seem to get all of the readiness monitors to set. I have personally put over 200 miles on the car and he has put probably close to another 100.

The unset codes we keep getting are catalyst system, O2 sensor heater and O2 sensor. The car has stock exhaust/cats on. The car is not tuned. We have been using the black/silver key during driving.

If anyone has any suggestions for something we might be missing I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I would check to see if you have any pending codes. If you don’t make sure that you are driving with less than 3/4 tank of fuel and greater than 1/4 so evap will run. Another tip is to not just drive on the highway, do more in town driving.

Roush6018

Established Member
it took me about 200 miles to set the monitors on my 03 Cobra after i repaired the evap vent valve. the car needs to be driven at steady condition for a couple mins then the computer will run the monitor of the cats and O2 sensors. example; 40-50 mph at 2k rpm for 5 mins. if they do not complete there will usually be a check engine light set with a code to point toward the problem. as said already, drive with your gas tank between 1/4 and 3/4 full.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Thanks guys. I’ve been driving it back and forth to work which is like 90% interstate 10% backroads. I’ll go through the city tomorrow and try doing like a steady 45mph in 1 gear for a few minutes. Fuel is currently around 1/2 tank.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Cold starts are more important than miles driven.
........................Here is some " generic " info..

SHOdown220

Established Member
Cold starts are more important than miles driven.
........................Here is some " generic " info..

Thanks for the info, another 90 mile trip down with still unset codes. The car has been sitting for a couple days in between trips I have taken it home. I will start doing a couple starts a day with some shorter trips to try and get it set

dsp

Established Member
I followed this procedure the last time I had a problem with monitors not being ready. For some reason it didn't work with the red key, but all monitors were ready once I ran through this with the regular key. Hope this helps.

How To Complete Ford Mustang Drive Cycle

The following procedure is directly from Ford and designed to complete the OBDII monitors required to get your Ford Mustang to pass the OBDII Monitors portion of the smog check, also known of the I/M readiness test. You may use a scan tool in order to monitor the status of the emission monitors as your Ford Mustang is being driven.

START HERE - Drive Cycle Recommendations:

1.Emission monitors (readiness flags) will complete quicker when using a "steady foot" driving style during cruise or acceleration modes. Operating the gas pedal in a "smooth" manner will minimize the time required for monitor completion.

2. Fuel tank level should be between 1/2 and 3/4 fill during the drive cycle in order to allow the EVAP monitor to run.

3.The Evaporative Monitor can only operate during the first 30 minutes of engine operation. During the EVAP portion of the drive cycle, drive in a smooth fashion to minimize "fuel slosh".

Drive Cycle Preparation - 1. If using a scan tool, go ahead and connect it now. Turn key on with the engine off. Cycle key off, then on. Select the appropriate vehicle make and model on your scan tool. Start your Ford Mustang WITHOUT returning to Key Off. Idle the vehicle for 15 seconds, and then drive at 40 MPH until engine coolant temperature is at least 170°F, which is normal engine operating temperature. 10 to 15 minutes of drive will achieve this.

HEGO Monitor - 5. Cruise at 40 MPH for up to 4 minutes.

EVAP Monitor - 6. Cruise at 45 to 65 MPH for 10 minutes (avoid sharp turns and hills).

Catalyst Monitor - 7. Next, drive your Ford Mustang in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from 25 to 45 MPH over a 10 minute period.

EGR Monitor - 8. From a stop, accelerate to 45 MPH at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Repeat this pattern 3 times.

SEC AIR/CCM (Engine) - 9. Bring your Ford Mustang to a stop. Idle with transmission in drive (neutral for M/T) for 2 minutes.

CCM (Trans) - 10. If your Ford has a manual transmission, go ahead and accelerate from 0 to 50 MPH, continue to step 11. For Automatic Transmissions, start from a stop and in overdrive, then moderately accelerate to 50 MPH and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop the vehicle and repeat without overdrive to 40 MPH cruising for at least 30 seconds. While at 40 MPH, activate overdrive and accelerate to 50 MPH and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop for at least 20 seconds and repeat step 10 five times.

Misfire & Fuel Monitors - 11. From a stop, accelerate to 65 MPH. Decelerate at closed throttle until 40 MPH (no brakes). Repeat this 3 times.

Readiness Check - 12. If using a scan tool, go ahead and access the ON-Board System Readiness (OBDII monitor status) function on the scan tool. Determine whether all emission monitors have completed.

Evap Monitor "Bypass" - 13. Park vehicle for a minimum of 8 hours. Repeat steps 2 through 12.

Users who are viewing this thread