Boss 1/4 mile runners please chime in...

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Thinking about taking my Boss out to the drags for the first time just to see what she does. It'll be my first time running a 400+ hp manual, RWD car down the strip. I had another fast car that was auto with a stall, but this is a whollleeee different animal. My rear tires are 305/35/19 Nitto 555 G2's that seem pretty decent for true street tires...What advice do you guys have on rear tire psi, launch rpm, launch technique with stock clutch/6spd manual trans...I'm not looking to knock out my driveshaft or go crazy on the launch, just want to get a feel for where the car stands on ET and mostly trap speed (with mods in sig what should I run ET/MPH?)...So any help would be appreciated! Thanks:beer::beer:

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Subscribing. Also curious what the dampers should be set to for the drag strip.

I've heard some people say 5 rear, 1 front...But I'm not sure where people have had the most success.....I was thinking of trying 1 front and 3 rear to start.

dlaude

Established Member
I know I've read it somewhere, I think along with answers to many of your questions, I just can't remember where. Maybe somewhere on this forum, in this subforum. I'll do some searching and post up if I find anything.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
I know I've read it somewhere, I think along with answers to many of your questions, I just can't remember where. Maybe somewhere on this forum, in this subforum. I'll do some searching and post up if I find anything.

Running 3 rear and 1 front on my way to work this morning and I like how it feels when you get on the throttle...I'll mess around with it. Thanks for helping out finding info on this...Apparently nobody else drags their Boss...lol

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I have run mine a little bit. 100% stock on 17" drag radials I went a best of 11.82 @116... Since then on my 20s with the track key, discs out of the exhaust and a K&N drop in I've gone 12.10@ 118

Practice is key! I've got a good amount of experience dragracing over the years. Try launching soft to start and work your way to a more aggressive technique as you get comfortable and traction permits. Move your seat one notch closer to help with pedal control. Practice shifting as fast as possible. As far as the suspension I have never touch the shocks since day one as far as dragracing goes.

FKing1

Established Member
My experience:
5 rr, 1 frt, 35 psi all 4.
Launch control at 2500 rpm
You may have a problem with the dreaded lockout at or near rev limit.
With factory Pirelli's best time 13.0 @ 113. Just wont hook up.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
I have run mine a little bit. 100% stock on 17" drag radials I went a best of 11.82 @116... Since then on my 20s with the track key, discs out of the exhaust and a K&N drop in I've gone 12.10@ 118

Practice is key! I've got a good amount of experience dragracing over the years. Try launching soft to start and work your way to a more aggressive technique as you get comfortable and traction permits. Move your seat one notch closer to help with pedal control. Practice shifting as fast as possible. As far as the suspension I have never touch the shocks since day one as far as dragracing goes.

Man if I can trap 118+ I'd be very happy...Doubt I'll be able to pull a low 12 with my driving abilities lol...we'll see.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
My experience:
5 rr, 1 frt, 35 psi all 4.
Launch control at 2500 rpm
You may have a problem with the dreaded lockout at or near rev limit.
With factory Pirelli's best time 13.0 @ 113. Just wont hook up.

I'm probably going to start at 20psi rear and heat the tires up a little outside the waterbox and go from there...2500 launch is probably where I'll start too....

IamRacerX

Established Member
The shocks are only going to make a difference when your driving is dialed in 100%. That will be the biggest variable.... Learning to shift fast and the launch take lots of practice.
I ran my car 12.28 at 115 dead stock in one outing with massive 1-2 spinning.... That was my third ever pass in the car. Don't expect that though.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
The shocks are only going to make a difference when your driving is dialed in 100%. That will be the biggest variable.... Learning to shift fast and the launch take lots of practice.
I ran my car 12.28 at 115 dead stock in one outing with massive 1-2 spinning.... That was my third ever pass in the car. Don't expect that though.

Luckily I've had several manual trans cars and this Boss is my 3rd Mt-82 car so I'm very good with the crappy trans...The short shifter and clutch mod makes it much better. I think my biggest challenge is getting the perfect launch on street tires...Although they are 305's so a bit more meat than stock but still gonna be the hardest part...I have a few more items to replace on the car and then I'm going to hit the strip...Probably going to swap rotors to the stop tech slotted rotors and either stop tech or hawk pads and then I'll feel better about going to make some passes. I've run the car up well into 4th gear a few times and the brakes feel pretty soft so I gotta swap them out.

IamRacerX

Established Member
My biggest issue with street tires was heavy wheel spin on the 1-2 shift... I mean heavy spinning to the point of letting off the throttle and still running 12.20-12.30s

Last edited:

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
My biggest issue with street tires was heavy wheel spin on the 1-2 shift... I mean heavy spinning to the point of letting off the throttle and still running 12.20-12.30s

So I'm thinking slight delay on the 1-2 shift to not carry such high rpm dumping right into 2nd...Once I get some time I'm going to get out and practice practice practice...I ran the car fairly hard over the weekend mainly around 2 to 3 and 3 to 4th gear.(trans tunnel gets warm)..I gotta work on the launch too...Also still have some odds and ends that I want to tackle like LCA's, UCA, aluminum ds and possibly the comp lca's for the front with upgraded bushings/balljoints...Oh I'm also switching to the stop tech slotted rotors/front and rear and the stop tech pads....I love the car though as you've said it's way more than the sum of its parts...

IamRacerX

Established Member
So I'm thinking slight delay on the 1-2 shift to not carry such high rpm dumping right into 2nd...Once I get some time I'm going to get out and practice practice practice...I ran the car fairly hard over the weekend mainly around 2 to 3 and 3 to 4th gear.(trans tunnel gets warm)..I gotta work on the launch too...Also still have some odds and ends that I want to tackle like LCA's, UCA, aluminum ds and possibly the comp lca's for the front with upgraded bushings/balljoints...Oh I'm also switching to the stop tech slotted rotors/front and rear and the stop tech pads....I love the car though as you've said it's way more than the sum of its parts...
Sounds good! I have one thing to add, if you get wheelspin in first gear. You are better to lift and settle the car before your 1-2 shift, otherwise that is when you will get locked out of second gear.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Sounds good! I have one thing to add, if you get wheelspin in first gear. You are better to lift and settle the car before your 1-2 shift, otherwise that is when you will get locked out of second gear.

Took it out on some back roads last night for some spirited driving and it seems like these rear 305's hook up damn well. I was able to lay on the gas pedal in 1st and it stuck with no noticeable wheel spin. Delay shift into second and then quick shift 3rd and slam 4th taking 4th to the end around 78xx. I think this will be my 1/4 mile plan too.

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
Hey hey hey there long time no talk.....I took mine out a month or so ago just down from the house where everyone around here street races...(we live in the country and it a straight flat road about a mile and a half long) went out there with my brother in law and his whipple supercharged 07...1st run into started in 2nd and rev'd up to about 2500..he hit the jump and I stayed on his bumper the whole way...2nd race I started in 1st and rev'd up to 4500 and I smoked him....I'm also running the cobra jet intake, mono blade tb, and frpp cai, and the blowfish racing trans bracket (love this thing) and bmr lca...shifting at 8k...we got down to the turn around and he says damn that things fast....haha....hope this helps any....hit me up I'll be around

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
Full on cobra jet setup aed tuned....he raised limiter to 8200....it's a screaming banshee!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

IamRacerX

Established Member
How do you get to shift at 8k when rev limit is 7200?
Did you raise it with a tune?

Fyi the stock limiter is 7600rpm.... Stock power peak is at 7500 so you gotta shift quick... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread