Borla XR1 or Magnapacks? Help me decide

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I need and want a new sound! Currently I have a magnaflow O/R X pipe with the stock catback but I want something new.

A.) Either pick up Borla XR1 mufflers and weld them in? (will probably leave stock tips for years to come)

OR

B.) Get Magnaflow Magnapacks cat back? (new tails and all :))

What would you do
Everyone claims Magnapacks are quiet at idle and while cruising which I a plus bc I don't like drone, but my question is how quiet are they? When I turn my car on will it be audible? Or will it be about stock in sound loudness? I kind of want something sort of loud but not annoying loud. I know magnapacks scream at WOT.

I'm not the biggest fan of Borla, Idk they seem to fit better on the 05-13 mustangs.

98fourvalve

Established Member
Not a huge fan of borlas. I'd go the magnapack route. Especially if you were considering keeping the stock tails with the borlas. Mags with new tails all the way.

Helomech74

Established Member
I run the XR-1's and they sound great. Some folks don't care for them because of the loudness and rasp, but I think they sound good. Mine are 3" and dumped at the axle.

98v8

Established Member
I love my magnapacks with offroad h has a nice grow on startup and not to loud cruising around 60 mph. But sounds like all hell is about to break loose once you hit about 2800 rpms at wot.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
I feel like Magnaflow pop a lot between shifts and when you let off but then again borla is the same. Id go with borla!

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I got borla stingers welded in with a bbk o/r xpipe. I'm about done with the xpipe I think. The setup is very loud and raspy. Being loud I have no problem with but it's just too much damn rasp. I believe it has more to do with the midpipe than the muffler though. Pick one, if you don't like it then do something else. :)

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Well I like the Borla's because they are pretty loud; but IMO the Magnapacks sound better. Plus the added benefit of stainless steel piping and new bigger tips. I think Borla's are overrated.

Someone post a vid and convince me!!!!!! Seems like most of y'all have the XR1's.

Scottg: Yes, that bbk x clamshell style produces a lot of rasp. It's in the design of the X.

I love the popping between shifts and on decel!

I jut don't want to get the magnapacks and than look back after spending $520 on the catback regretting it because it is too damn quiet. I wonder how quiet they really are.

Here's this vid of magnaflow O/R X (I have this), paired with a Magnapacks catback! Sounds amazing IMO deep sound and sexy sound but it seems to get quiet as it drives away. Not sure if it's just the mic on the camera or it's that quiet??

97 Cobra take off - YouTube

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
Magnapacks FTMFW!

Bassani o/r x -pipe w/ dumped magnapacks:

IMAG0477.jpg

http://static.photobucket.com/playe...s/ee213/Maxatatkd1/98 BAB Cobra/VIDEO0015.mp4

Upside down, not sure how to fix but you get the point.

http://static.photobucket.com/playe...3/Maxatatkd1/98 BAB Cobra/20120715_103605.mp4

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I've been watching this video for years. Even before I got my cobra lol. When I get tired of these LoudMouths and X, I'll be switching to an H and magnapacks once I get some longtubes down the road.

1996 mustang cobra - YouTube

DAMN. I had to watch that twice! Love the sound. I love Magnaflow. I think I've made up my mind! Thanks man!

Hell yeah that's what I'm talking about! That sounds amazing and your car is just sexy. Magnapacks take the W. Thanks!

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Forsure dude! I might just post it in the exhaust archive to not bring this thread back from the dead when it happens.

I think I shall order tomorrow when my payment to clear the credit card goes through lol

HandsomeRob

Established Member
I have XR1's. I wouldn't change it for anything. They freaking scream at WOT. The rasp comes from the mid pipe. It depends which you get

Oceanside78

Established Member
I have borla (says bassani in my sig, it's not...) with LTs and OR X and it's QUIET!!! Don't know which Borla mufflers they are, but idle sounds near stock, no joke! WOT sounds goud and loud, no rasp, but below 1K you can barely hear em. And there's zero drone

4.6+5.0

Established Member
I've got bbk lt's, catted h and magnapacks and it's nice rumble at startup, idles quiet and is eargasm on the gas! To bad I've not used her in the 1.5 years I've had my 2011 5.0 but I miss her sound dearly. My buddies kids love the sound and always wanted me to make her growl! I know it sounds corny but when cruising on the highway at 65-70 in fifth riding next to the cement barriers with the windows down with the sound bouncing off sounds like a lion with that slow low growl right before the roar, it's music to my ears!

Gives me goose bumps just thinking and typing it!

Last edited:

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Never had borlas, but I loved the sound of my last car. BBK Lt's, BBK catted H and Magnapacks..
That must have sounded awesome! I love bbk LT's with Magnapacks!

I have borla (says bassani in my sig, it's not...) with LTs and OR X and it's QUIET!!! Don't know which Borla mufflers they are, but idle sounds near stock, no joke! WOT sounds goud and loud, no rasp, but below 1K you can barely hear em. And there's zero drone
Definitely not XR1's than. They make a few different ones. You must have the super quiet ones that I can't remember the name of.
I've got bbk lt's, catted h and magnapacks and it's nice rumble at startup, idles quiet and is eargasm on the gas! To bad I've not used her in the 1.5 years I've had my 2011 5.0 but I miss her sound dearly. My buddies kids love the sound and always wanted me to make her growl! I know it sounds corny but when cruising on the highway at 65-70 in fifth riding next to the cement barriers with the windows down with the sound bouncing off sounds like a lion with that slow low growl right before the roar, it's music to my ears!

Gives me goose bumps just thinking and typing it!
How quiet? I don't want a super quiet idle. I love the sound of the packs but I don't like a super quiet exhaust. Well I'm sure the 5.0 is worlds better and much more fun! But the 32v 4.6 makes some great melodies. Ahhh I know what you mean; I do that every day on my way to work but it's raspy with the true x and stock catback lol.

I have the Magnapacks catback on my car with the Magnaflow tru-x mid-pipe and I love it. This is the video that won me over:

98 Cobra Magnapacks BBK X w/o cats - YouTube

Any videos?!?! I'd love to here it. Is it really quiet when cruising? I have just the Magnaflow True x with stock catback and it is pretty quiet when you are just cruising in fith gear which I like that; gets loud when I got to shift at around 2200rpm and WOT obviously lol. I just don't want to get it and have the car get quieter lol.

I love that video! That car sounds amazing. But that's with a BBK X so it's got a different sound imo. Did you see the video I linked of the magnaflow true x and magnapacks CB? That video sounds amazing but sounds like it get quiet when it's not even that far away.

ehh I don't see what the hype is with Borlas? It sounds okay. I've seen the kooks LTs and borla thread; heard the videos and they sound good but just kind of bland. That's just an opinion though. I've even heard stingers and those are a step up from XR1's but they okay as well.

Users who are viewing this thread