Borla to loud

Code Name

Established Member
Borla just to loud for me in a vert and especially with the wife riding! What would be a quieter exhaust without killing the performance? Not a dd! Just taken out on nice weekends with good weather. 2004 vert w/ 2.3 whipple

Last edited:

mdever12

Established Member
PM if you want to sell it. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions on a different exhaust

wudy

Established Member
I would say Magnaflows are what your after. I just sold mine to get the Stingers. Mine is not a dd either so I wanted something a bit on the loud side. Magnaflows are somewhat quiet till you step on it.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Borla just to loud for me in a vert and especially with the wife riding! What would be a quieter exhaust without killing the performance? Not a dd! Just taken out on nice weekends with good weather. 2004 vert w/ 2.3 whipple

The Steeda exhaust (same as the Borla 14858) is what you want. It is one of the nicest sounding kits out there, other than the FR-500 (FRPP M-58). If I didn't have the FR-500 myself, the Steeda kit would be the one.

Code Name

Established Member
Been listening to sound clips on YouTube for 2days....this being my 4th mustang and all previous with flowmasters....finding it hard not to be drawn to them! But the borla definitely coming off! Thanks to all who replied.

Seabiscuit

GIDDY-UP!!!
Established Member
The Steeda exhaust (same as the Borla 14858) is what you want. It is one of the nicest sounding kits out there, other than the FR-500 (FRPP M-58). If I didn't have the FR-500 myself, the Steeda kit would be the one.

I second the Steeda exhaust. Had it with the stock manifolds and stock mid pipe. Very tame. In fact, I just had some Corsa DB Blacks welded in place of the Steeda mufflers in order to get a little more sound. Steeda makes a great cat back with a straight thru design. Will not compromise performance.

JrSVT

Established Member
Here's a link to my setup. It's ARH 1 3/4" longtubes with 3" collector, 3" catted X reduced down to 2 1/2" Steeda (quiet Borla) catcback. Nevermind the smoke...this was from a startup tune that was REALLY rich. I really like this setup because it is pretty mild when cruising and at WOT it really wakes up.....not as loud as my stock manifolds, Bassani SS o/r X, and Bassani SS catback idling or at WOT.

03 Cobra 2.9L start up - YouTube

Jr.

Last edited:

Anabolic

Banned
it's sad the guy asks a question & people pm bomb him trying to buy them. lol,
keep the mufflers. order a set of quiet borla mufflers with the offset/offset inlet/outlet. 2.5"

04cobra88

Established Member
i have dynomax on mine and not a fan loud drone in low rpm and raspy at wot, i get tons of cmpliments but i think when i do my lts ill be going with borla stingers! love the sound

arh headers or kooks with there x pipe no cats and borla stingers!

SVT-FI$H2088

Fi$hmeister
Established Member
it's sad the guy asks a question & people pm bomb him trying to buy them. lol,
keep the mufflers. order a set of quiet borla mufflers with the offset/offset inlet/outlet. 2.5"

Have the quiet borlas welded in in my car. Nice tone on low rpms, and a great bite on wot. Good luck on the decision.

CompO_Eric

Arch Enemy of the Prius
Established Member
Wife delete mod is the cheapest! :)

Perhaps a set of Bassani full body mufflers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dragu1a

Established Member
i have the steeda catback with bbk lt's and o/r x. it's pretty mild at idle, but that goes away pretty quick when you put your foot in it. i don't drive it often enough, especially on the highway, to notice any drone.

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member

Are you running and offroad pipe or do you have cats? I have a catted x pipe with stingers and mine is perfect for a convertible. It's actually too quiet most the time unless your under descent throttle? I am use to really loud trucks etc but its deff not super loud IMO.

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
I have got a MAC pipe on mine, MAC Ford Cobra 4.6L V8 4Valve, 1999-2004,*2½"*Stainless Steel to 3½" Rolled Stainless Steel Tips*Cat-Back System.

I don't have a mid pipe or headers mod, those are stock.
They sound amazing and are not very loud when cruising at a constant speed. But when accelerating they are quite loud:rockon::banana::dancenana::rockon:

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
With the Borla 14258 I have no drone on the freeway at any RPM and it's quiet enough that I have passed cops without a second look.

I'm still happy with the system and it's been on the car for 9 years.

Cobra Kai Dojo

Finish him!
Established Member
lol i am sort of on the same boat. had a bassani catback and it had too much drone around 70mph partial throttle. had it for a week, took it off, and sold it.

i dont care about how loud it is.... as long as there's no drone.

jsonic

Established Member
I have a set of the steeda mufflers used if you're interested PM me. Ill let em go for cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread