Borla Stingers on 2008 Shelby GT500 .......

Cali01Cobra

Established Member
Hey I have been researching a couple of exhaust systems for my GT500. I really want the Borla Stingers Type S, but some websites are saying that I need to purchase the borla x-pipe because it won't fit on the stock x-pipe. Is this true ? Some help would be greatly appreciated. Also, what is the deepest tone exhaust system for these 5.4 motors ?

Speedboosted

Established Member
Are you wanting just the axle backs or a full catback system? Unless the catback you are wanting is 3" all the way back, it's not worth the money. A set of axles on the stock OTA pipes will work great.

As for tone...a deep tone is usually associated with drone, so choose wisely. A borla or magna flow system with chambered mufflers and an off road H will give you a really deep and aggressive sound

mcate

Established Member
I've got the FRPP (made by Borla) Stingers on my '09. I love the sound at idle & WOT, but it drones BAD on the highway.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
I've got the FRPP (made by Borla) Stingers on my '09. I love the sound at idle & WOT, but it drones BAD on the highway.

I formerly had the same mufflers, and agree 100%, any time you cruise at 2,000-2,400 RPM the drone will liquefy your brains and sense of reasoning. I would often drop to 5th and cruise there just to get out of the drone zone.

I switched to a full JBA 3" offroad setup with Longtube's and it is far less obnoxious unless at WOT, in fact I still have the set of FRPP Stingers kicking around somewhere, I should probably sell them or something.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Anybody have a recording of this "Drone"? I always heard about it V6's and on MDS (cylinder shut-off) cars (V-8s (Challenger\Camaro in auto config) that shut off 4 cylinders so on the highway a V-8 would drone like hell) but I can't see this happening on our s\c V-8 5.4l, and I am wanting to straight-pipe mine or at least do cutouts, I love the stock bubbly exhaust but this thing needs to scream more, the first GT-500 I drove had 16k on it was Kona Blue and I swear that car rattled the ground when you started it, and inside of it just, wowza. They claimed it had a factory warranty but looking back I can only imagine the exhaust was dumping from the headers or something, but that GT500 had a sketch history behind it so I never figured out what they did to it, I'd LOVE for my stock exhaust to rattle the interior like that one if that is it...still a mystery to me. Bubbled and burped constantly.

Last edited:

007snake

mechanical music
Established Member
I agree with the Borla touring or magnaflow ovals with off road h....adding headers even sounds better!

Users who are viewing this thread