Borla Stinger catback installed (w/ stock H pipe) - Impressions.

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
I just got the Stinger installed on my car, with the stock H pipe. First, the looks. You've all seen them, 4" rolled angle-cut, beautiful =)

The sound:

At idle, just over 500 rpm, the car is EXTREMELY quiet. The first time I stopped at a light, I thought I stalled. At the 1000 rpm "moving idle" you can hear the exhaust a bit, and accelerating at low speeds and low RPMs, it growls nicely.

Cruising below 2000 rpm (just below 70 mph in 6th) there's NO drone, even with the windows open, even while giving it a bit of gas. As soon as you go over 2000 rpm, there's a bit of drone with the windows down, but with them up you can barely hear the exhaust.

Very nice burble when decelerating, it eventually dies down and becomes a rumble that decreases in pitch. Blipping the gas when double clutching turns heads, but is still fairly subdued (unless you overdo it.)

Giving a moderate amount of gas at 60mph in 4th, to merge for instance, is sweet =) Of course, at high RPMs / WOT all hell breaks loose, but at mid-RPMs and mid throttle the exhaust note is very thick and hints at much more power waiting to be unleashed.

At WOT, it's loud and deep, the only high-pitch noise comes from the screaming S/C.

---

The muffler shop I used initially installed the right-side tip about half inch too far out, but fixed it after I noticed (and went back.) Install took literally 15 minutes. Paid $65 for it - peace of mind, even though I could have prolly done it myself. Anyway, I wanted it done immediately =)

Bottom line - sweet exhaust, perfect with the stock H. Might be slightly expensive (for just a catback) but worth it.

~Berj

Orange Poison

Established Member
I agree with everything Berj,

So you were able to salvage the Stinger off your last Cobra?

Are you planning on doing the midpipe at all?

Good to see you back on the road crankin'.....;-)

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
I probably would have salvaged it, but Insurance paid for the old one, so I just bought a new one =) Going to leave the stock H on there for good, I think - only concern is it getting rusty =/ Hopefully it lasts. Got my JMS grille in the mail today, going to install it later... just need those Subframes welded on and I'm good to go - no pulley/chip for a bit =)

Gotta meet up with you and the rest sometime!

~Berj

Orange Poison

Established Member
Gotta meet up with you and the rest sometime!

Most definitely:thumbsup:

I tell ya Berj, the chip & pulley temptation keeps haunting me by the day. I think the only reason I don't do it is because of money right now....things are real tight.

Oh, that's right....forget the chip....I mean Predator & pulley.

I'm still hanging on, my cars runs so damn good right now.

ralphy1798

Established Member
I agree, good to have you back on the road with almost an identical cobra now! What did the guys at the exhaust shop say? Did they remember you?

I may come down to LA this weekend, saturday and spend the night up in canyon country with my g/f at John's house, we should meet up, I need to see your new cobra! I need to pick up my license plates at the DMV in Newhall... They read....

1M FASTR

haha, cant wait to get those, i ordered them like 5 months ago and am not even sure if they are down there yet!!!

I will call you if i am heading down, we can get dinner or something...

hope work and all is well!

Users who are viewing this thread