Bore out a Stock Block?

apentivolpi

AlexFreestyle
Established Member
What would is cost me to get my stock block bored out and is it worth it? it can still blow right or will it hold more HP.

Last edited:

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
no aftermarket blocks for the L's other then the alum. blocks from the GT or SHM.

so your stuck with a stock block anyway even with the big built motors. but you can blow anything. if your going to tear it down throw some good rods and pistons in it while its apart and it will help you a ton in the long run

apentivolpi

AlexFreestyle
Established Member
no aftermarket blocks for the L's other then the alum. blocks from the GT or SHM.

so your stuck with a stock block anyway even with the big built motors. but you can blow anything. if your going to tear it down throw some good rods and pistons in it while its apart and it will help you a ton in the long run

Thats what I was thinking of doing thats why, but not looking to go to go 800 or 900 HP I only had 460Hp when my block went and I just don't want the same thing to happen.

LSUstang05

Established Member
It's not the block that isn't holding, it's the rods. Throw some good rods in it and you should be good to go.

lightitup

Show and Go
Established Member
I had my stock blocked bored .20 over, I also added Manley Forged Rods and Pistons, LFP Stage II Heads and Cams

1990stanggt

Established Member
IMO it would not be worth it at all to tear it down JUST to bore it out a little. You aren't going to gain but a few cubic inches and therefore, only a few horsepower. However, stuffing new forged rods in as everyone mentioned WOULD make it worthwhile!

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
You might as well bump up the compression a tad too. Stroker crank? LOL

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the 5.4 already has a long stroke. I think it becomes a little more difficult to stroke it when it is already a stroked 4.6. Can someone confirm this?

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
A 5.4 is a stroker. It uses the same size piston as the 4.6, There is a stroker crank for the Lightning too. It would be easier to bump the compression with changing the dish size on a new set of pistons.

Last edited:

SADF

Established Member
I had my stock blocked bored .20 over, I also added Manley Forged Rods and Pistons, LFP Stage II Heads and Cams

This is the ideal setup for me. Nothing major, budget even (compared to other options, definately not cheap:rolling:), and just a ported eaton or Magnum Powers

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
a 5.4L is NOT a stroked 4.6L

A 5.4 is a stroker. It uses the same size piston as the 4.6, There is a stroker crank for the Lightning too. It would be easier to bump the compression with changing the dish size on a new set of pistons.

So, since it has the same size piston but a longer stroke... it's a stroked 4.6, right? You might not be able to take a 4.6 and throw in the crank from an L and get an L engine, but it is still a stroked 4.6. Please, someone confirm this.

dragonlightning

Established Member
So, since it has the same size piston but a longer stroke... it's a stroked 4.6, right? You might not be able to take a 4.6 and throw in the crank from an L and get an L engine, but it is still a stroked 4.6. Please, someone confirm this.

So is a 351 a stroked 302? Since the pistons are the same? You can use 302 heads on a 351 and vice versa...NO!

The blocks are totally different.

Same with a 4.6 and 5.4 Strokers change the rod ratio, you cannot stroke a stoker, your rod ratio would end up tossing rods through the side of the block.

Modular motors mean that parts are interchangeable "modular" so a 5.4 is a taller deck, longer rod (to keep correct rod ratio) block. But they keep the same mount points, same head bolt pattern etc so parts can be used across both motors...Just like a 302 and 351. Im sure there are other differences, but my point is, if you take a 5.4 block and put it next to a 4.6, it's physically larger. Not by a whole lot, but it is.

Last edited:

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
So is a 351 a stroked 302? Since the pistons are the same? You can use 302 heads on a 351 and vice versa...NO!

The blocks are totally different.

Same with a 4.6 and 5.4 Strokers change the rod ratio, you cannot stroke a stoker, your rod ratio would end up tossing rods through the side of the block.

Modular motors mean that parts are interchangeable "modular" so a 5.4 is a taller deck, longer rod (to keep correct rod ratio) block. But they keep the same mount points, same head bolt pattern etc so parts can be used across both motors...Just like a 302 and 351. Im sure there are other differences, but my point is, if you take a 5.4 block and put it next to a 4.6, it's physically larger. Not by a whole lot, but it is.

Ok, man. Calm down. I was only trying to clear something up. I don't know much about building engines. That is one of the reasons why I am a member here, to learn.

I still don't think you see what I am getting at here, though. What 2 measurements make up your displacement? Bore and stroke, right? Ok so if the 4.6 and the 5.4 have the same bore diameter (piston size), then the stroke has to be larger in the 5.4 compared to the 4.6. That is all. I wasn't saying they were the same block.

I wish the search was working, I would find that thread.

dragonlightning

Established Member
Ok, man. Calm down. I was only trying to clear something up. I don't know much about building engines. That is one of the reasons why I am a member here, to learn.

I still don't think you see what I am getting at here, though. What 2 measurements make up your displacement? Bore and stroke, right? Ok so if the 4.6 and the 5.4 have the same bore diameter (piston size), then the stroke has to be larger in the 5.4 compared to the 4.6. That is all. I wasn't saying they were the same block.

I wish the search was working, I would find that thread.

Fair enough

A stroked 281 is a 302 and a stock 5.4 is 331 cui, so even stroked a 4.6 won't make 5.4 cuin..

The fact the block is bigger is where you are getting the additional space for bore.

Users who are viewing this thread