Boosted 2v guys come on in, need suggestions

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
Alright...enough is enough. on my way home tonight I got walked by a tune/exhaust only audi a6TT, with 240k miles. (in mexico) His awd ate me off the line and I couldnt catch him. I know some people are gonna say build a 4v but I dont wanna do that. I wanna build a fast 2v on a budget not too ridiculous. I wanna use my stock block, a cobra crank and then thats where you guys come in. If you were building a 2v, how would you do it? what would you use as far as fuel, heads, tranny, rods/pistons, etc? Id like to get alot of different opinions and see what my options are. so build me a 2v. dont have a set goal but lets just say in the 600rwhp range. thanks svtp. :beer:

gtmustang00

Established Member
Forged pistons and rods, stock heads, p51 intake, hp twin 57 turbo's. Friend is sitting nicely at 630rwhp. It's a nice street car.

Mike@TF

Established Member
manley rods and pistons,mod max rods and manley pistons,dss rods and pistons,diamond etc,etc

i have some scat h beam rods with arp bolts i will sell for 350...they have 3k miles on them..pulled out because i went with manley billets because i really wanted to turn up the boost..

are you supercharged already? heads just find some stage 2 ported heads used in great shape for a good price..and go with blower or turbo cams and a little boost..

for fuel i would looking into the new fore stuff...and just need a dual pump setup..

teufel GT

Established Member
First....what's your budget? If you're serious about 600 you'll need a lot. High 300 or low 400 is realistic for a budget build. Just depends on if you'll have the funds to get there. Give us more information, time line,.who's doing the work, and last but not least your max amount hour wanna spend.

Some sticky tires, gears and a shot of nitrous will take you a long way.

teufel GT

Established Member
Running a stock block here by the way. Internals are forged Manley rods and pistons, kelloggs crank.

gtstang1219

Established Member
Your best bet to stay on a low budget is to buy someones built short/long block. People for every reason under the sun are selling there motors for a fraction of what it costs to build them. Take some time and look every day till a great deal comes around. That would be my suggestion for a budget. You can fined good deals on forged parts but its the labor and machine work that's going to kill you (buy a cobra crank for 250 and spend twice that to get it to fit in your 2v). Any who that's my 2 cents.

Jcobra03

import reaper
Established Member
i got a stock bottom end ,mhs stage 2 heads,comps 270s,and a d1sc.right now makes 450 whp with pump gas on 10 lbs and its a good runner on the streets.has went mid 11s on drag radials.

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
alot of helpful stuff here..thanks. but as far as a budget i say 5 to 6 grand max for now.

tj4891

Established Member
If price is not issue go with a mmr short block with trick flow heads and 2.8 kb, will put around 600hp. I run a mmr long block stock heads and a 2.1 kb at 14lbs and push 500hp. You could do a 2.1 kb wit 100shot on a built short block prob about 7gs, if you dont do any head work. Just my 2cents tho. Good luck on the build. Nice to see a 2v getting built.

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
i appreciate the feedback from everyone this definitely helps get me started as to what I'm gonna do. time to see what a little 281 2v can do

I8URLS1

Established Member
If you wanted to build something relatively fast and keep it on a budget I'd find an 03-04 shortblock or like a previous poster said find someone selling their shortblock. Find some 03-04 heads with the additional threads in the spark plug holes. Could pick up an on3 kit some people like their new redesigned kit for even a centrifigual blower used can be had for cheap. Keep in mind you'll still need a transmission/fuel and other supporting mods. I think for 5k or less you could have a solid setup but then you'll still need to beef up the trans & rearend. I have a fully built 2v with a KB 2.2 on it that is pullied for 17psi and I am actually backing it down to 13psi until I can get a T56. It will still be plenty of fun as it is my daily driver.

dsmith26

Established Member
No such thing as a high horsepower (600+) budget 2V. I built a 500hp one, rough run down:

MMR 900 - 4500
Vortech V2SQ - 3500
TB - 400
Exhaust (don't have to have bassani but i did) - 1200
Comp cams - 600

These are rough prices as I did this about 4 years ago and you can see it's already 10K plus. This doesn't include tranny, rear end, fuel system....and again, this is only 500rwhp.

I was like you too, wanted to do it 2V cause there ain't fast 2V out there but really it's just a big waste of money. More power to ya though!

On a side note, I have said long block I wouldn't mind selling:
MMR 900 SB, notched pistons
ARP everything
Race oil pump
windage tray
9 qt oil pan
comp cams, stage 2
comp springs
accufab TB

from TB to oil pan complete, has less than 8K miles. drop in and play. 4K

Driver500

Established Member
alot of helpful stuff here..thanks. but as far as a budget i say 5 to 6 grand max for now.

Sell your car. Put the money you get from it with your 5-6k and buy a built car. You will get WAY more car for your investment than you can afford modding your current car.

There is a TT 2v for sale now I think listed at 17k. It's about 2k away from being a 700+ monster. With the fuel system he has it's good for 500. It would take you 15k in mods to get to that point with your car.

For that matter, I've put mine up for sale at 23k. It's got 50k in it and is at 800rwhp. You always get a better deal buying something that's already built.

Last edited:

I8URLS1

Established Member
Sell your car. Put the money you get from it with your 5-6k and buy a built car. You will get WAY more car for your investment than you can afford modding your current car.
QUOTE]

That's what I did with my 98 GT, just found a deal I could not pass up. My 91 coupe however I have built up completely and I'm well past 20k and still am not done. It adds up a lot faster than you expect it to.

school boy

Established Member
like mentioned above, 03-04 cobra short block will be a great budget block. add your heads with long tubes and a tork tech terminator kit. you can be any where from 400 to 500 with a pulley change. like said above a fuel system is needed. a termi 2 pump hat with either svt focus or supercar gt pumps will due and some 60# injectors. bad thing getting up to 500 may require some transmission work. there are other small things i know im forgeting but you get the drift.

ls2 klr

Established Member
I would have to agree with buying something already built. If you're on a budget then building a 600+ hp car isn't too realistic. When you start making serious horsepower you will start to find out which parts are your weakest links, lol.

Chuckie B

Established Member
I would have to agree with buying something already built. If you're on a budget then building a 600+ hp car isn't too realistic. When you start making serious horsepower you will start to find out which parts are your weakest links, lol.

^ thats for sure. im only making 400rwhp &433tq right now and this past summer was a year for breaking and fixing..

I'm in the same spot tho, i want to build mine and make it a monster but it does add up. I agree taking the time to buy quality used parts is your best bet.

shit, i have 8g's in a brand new KB set up, install,tune (plus a/f ,boost gauges,pillar set up)..but go KB or a turbo set up for your power adder IMO

Users who are viewing this thread