boost question

svtjerrod

Established Member
ok i just bought my L its an 01 and was reading that stock it only gives about 8psi boost...well on my gauge inside the truck it pegs out at wide open throttle, the top of the gauge says 10 does that mean that it is makin more than 8 psi of boost and if it is then it has to not be bone stock like the guy told me???? right??

mcarbine

2003 L #2504
Established Member
You will have to measure your upper and lower pullies to be sure if they are stock or not. The stock lower pulley is a solid pulley with three arms that come off of it that looks like a cage. Stock is 8psi and a CAI will give you about another 1psi. The factory gauges are not very accurate so you can always go by them. Matt

croweski

Established Member
i'm having them same problem in my 01. boost pegs, but truck is stock other than cai. i went and bout a aftermarket gauge. hooked it up and i'm running 10 psi (way less than the stocker says). If your truck does have stock pullies then your gauge prob needs to be recalibrated.

DjKush

Established Member
Ok from what I know all L's (stock) have that same gauge you are pushing psi stock idk why ford put that 10 on there it just confuses ppl haha

croweski

Established Member
huh??? they put the 10 on there for obvious reasons... to read that little extra boost you may make!!! right. lol. and shouldn't the gauge read accurate up to 10 no matter what?

2003svtf150

Sledge
Established Member
Ok from what I know all L's (stock) have that same gauge you are pushing psi stock idk why ford put that 10 on there it just confuses ppl haha

I was making between 9 & 10 on a cool day with no mods... so a gauge that reads up to 10 is reasonable. Better than having a gauge that only goes to 8 and not knowing what extra boost the beast is putting out.

Who buys an aftermarket boost gauge for only the amount of boost they are making anyway?

huh??? they put the 10 on there for obvious reasons... to read that little extra boost you may make!!! right. lol. and shouldn't the gauge read accurate up to 10 no matter what?

Like I said, I was putting out 9-10psi... then I threw on a 3# lower and I'm sitting at about 12.5psi..... so I'd say the stock gauge is right on unless it needs to be recalibrated.

croweski

Established Member
yea i mentioned the recalibrating earlier....my gauge jump past 10 into the black and then keeps climbing like as if i'm runnin 14-15 psi!? what all is needed to do a recalibration (another boost gauge, tubing???) i need to do this soon, although i have a aftermarket gauge it still pisses me off that it isn't right! :cuss:
i feel this would be helpful to others reading this thread as well. hey svtjerrod, have ya figured out if your running the stock pulley or not?
like i was saying the aftermarket gauge is reading like 3-4 psi less than the stock. that might be your prob if the truck really is all stock like the guys says

Last edited:

2003svtf150

Sledge
Established Member
yea i mentioned the recalibrating earlier....my gauge jump past 10 into the black and then keeps climbing like as if i'm runnin 14-15 psi!? what all is needed to do a recalibration (another boost gauge, tubing???) i need to do this soon, although i have a aftermarket gauge it still pisses me off that it isn't right! :cuss:
says

I bought a boost overlay, which requires that the gauge be recalibrated, and I am going to install it once I hit stateside in 10 days... I'll give you a heads up when I get it finished. What I do know is that you can use your current aftermarket to calibrate your stock.

Does anyone else have that info handy? I asked about the boost overaly a while back and one of the dudes that have it installed may be able to shed some light on how to recalibrate.

Users who are viewing this thread