Boost question

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
Ok i had my truck dyno tuned today. It made 419.xx hp on the first pull and made 396-398 once it heated up. This is on a mustang dyno so the numbers are good.

The tuner said he has never seen a SC like mine. It has room for about 8-10 more pounds of boost. Thanks Steig. LOL My only problem is that with my 6# pully at the top of each gear at 5,500rpms his meter read 17.4lbs of boost. It stayed around 15-16 until the very top of 3rd. I think i like that much boost because i do not need to have my bottom end in pieces. We hooked up the boost to the T under the dash. Is that place we tapped in accurate. Anything i can do to lower the boost besides taking off my pulley and getting a smaller one?????

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
No it is not. So is it the best idea to at least buy #1 lower i know JLP has a 5# lower. That would make it around 16.4 at its very peak. Do you guys think i need to even change? Its not like its making 17lbs throughout. Its just at 5500 and higher and I'm not lean at all. suggestions please..........

Any have any Lt's they want to sell???? How much are new????

LightningClint

Every Last DETAIL
Established Member
You could always have your shifts set to a lower rpm and have your rev limiter set to a lower rpm in your tune until you decide what to do. That way you have a little safety net

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
freeing up the exhaust......LT's

Thats not a wise thing to say, the best thing is to get a smaller lower or put a bigger upper on. Putting LT's on it may cause the gauge to show a lb or so less boost becuase of the less restriction but its going to be making just as much/more power than before. HP is what kills bottom ends not xx number of boost showing on a gauge.

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
Take the timing down for every day driving? I wouldn't pulley down. If your tuner is a great tuner, you will be good. No top speed runs of course.

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
Take the timing down for every day driving? I wouldn't pulley down. If your tuner is a great tuner, you will be good. No top speed runs of course.

I am assuming he's good. LOL I was recommended to him by a few different people. We didn't add much timing at all. I think 2 degrees

Is there anyway to get a SCT tune from someone with my mods???? That way i can check my tune to theirs and see how good he is.

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
What size pulley can i get for the upper that is #1 less boost than stock??? Are those even made???

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
Just pull all timing above whatever rpm you want. Its very safe. You can make a lot of boost but if there is no timing its not gonna detonate so you should be perfectly safe.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
It's tuned for the way it's setup now which is good. If it were mine I would buy an interchangeable lower pulley setup with a 4# ring, sell the 6# you currently have to recoupe fundage until you find a used 6# ring for cheap or can get a new one for $100.

16# is the max I'd spin the eaton anyways, even ported that's where the heat starts to really kill the power as you saw on the dyno. :beer:

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
It's tuned for the way it's setup now which is good. If it were mine I would buy an interchangeable lower pulley setup with a 4# ring, sell the 6# you currently have to recoupe fundage until you find a used 6# ring for cheap or can get a new one for $100.

16# is the max I'd spin the eaton anyways, even ported that's where the heat starts to really kill the power as you saw on the dyno. :beer:

I know, i planned on having 15#-16#'s with stock being 8.5-9 with a 6#er i figured around 15.5. I guess thats not the case. LOL

Does anyone know if there are bigger snout pulleys? That seems like the easiest thing for me to do.

Users who are viewing this thread