boost problem

jason6488

Established Member
I have a stock 2014 gt500. Last week I noticed it was feeling weak above 6k. Well the weather finally cleared up and I wanted to test my theory. It was sunny, ambient temp was 70. At 60mph I dropped it into 2nd and nailed it. Boost went to 16 and then fell to 3 as I approached redline. I found the same problem in first. Could it be the gas is somehow bad? oh, both times the engine was completely up to temp

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
make sure your intercooler plug for the pump is all the way in. That was a known problem for a while that Ford was dealing with. Heat soak, etc...

You can search on here for a pic if you need to

jason6488

Established Member
thanks guys for the suggestions, but it turns out im just stupid. I did the intake baffle mod and I inadvertently took the spacer that supports the tube just before the throttle body out. installing that fixed the issue. well, one of them. its hard to fix stupid... lol damnit!

jason6488

Established Member
yeah im glad it was simple and easy... would have sucked to have to take it into the dealership like that...

mullens

Established Member
Wow you're seeing 16 psi on a stock motor that's awesome. These usually only put out 14.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Wow you're seeing 16 psi on a stock motor that's awesome. These usually only put out 14.

I guess I was right, vacuum leak.

Your bound to see more boost if you are taking restriction out of the intake and driving it in the cooler weather.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Was it a vacuum leak? How does that spacer create a vacuum leak?

Not sure what else to call it, but what you were describing was something a vacuum leak would create. Not having the spacer is I guess akin to having the air filter too far up or down on the tube or the maf in the wrong position. Its crazy how finicky the air intake can be and the issues it can cause. Luckily it was a easy fix.

jason6488

Established Member
I did not know that, thanks. I'm so glad it was an easy fix... I should go take the damn thing out and post it here so people know what not to do..

mullens

Established Member
13-14 GT500 stock boost is 15psi.

Depends on who you ask....

Full 2013 Shelby GT500 specifications
By Drew Phillips - May 25, 2012 – 11:21 amNo Comment | 6,566 views
2013 Shelby GT500 Specifications

Want to know every detail possible about the 2013 Shelby GT500? You’re in luck, as we’ve got our hands on a full list of specifications for the car. There’s the obvious stats, like 662 horsepower and 631 lb-ft torque produced by the supercharged 5.8-liter V8 or the fuel mileage of 15/24 mpg city – an improvement from 2012 – but there’s also lots of little details that you might not already know about. For example, did you know that SVT built in an over-rev function in to the engine, allowing it to reach 7,000 rpm for a limited amount of time? Or that the new GT500 now has 15-inch front Brembo brakes and 13.8-inch rear brakes, both larger than last year’s model.

You can see those stats as well as the full list of specifications for the 2013 Shelby GT500 in the chart below.

BODY
Construction Unitized welded steel body, aluminum hood
Production location Flat Rock, Mich.
POWERTRAIN AND CHASSIS
ENGINE
Type 5.8-liter, supercharged four-valve DOHC V8 with over-rev capability
Manufacturing location Romeo, Mich.
Configuration Aluminum block and aluminum heads
Intake manifold Cast-aluminum with 2.3-liter Eaton Twin Vortices Series (TVS) supercharger and high-efficiency air-to-water intercooler; maximum boost 14.0 psi

jason6488

Established Member
biminilx, the Ford warranty police have found out about your extra pound of boost. im sorry, youre gonna have to give it back.

mullens

Established Member
Honestly when I'm up near redline I'm looking at the road so I may have hit 15 once or twice. I do know that when I take a trip to Ca boost is higher at sea level.

Users who are viewing this thread