Boost overlay install

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
I finally got around to installing one of the overlays that I purchased from Ray Hilton. The install was a lot easier than I expected and required no splicing. What I did was disconnect the boost line where it connects in the location behind the glove box. Then I followed the line by hand and discovered that the wonderful folks at Ford spaced clips along the lenght of it that connects the boost line to various harnesses behind the dash. I patiently disconnected the clips (tedious but easy by the way) and then pulled the entire line out to the point where it leads to the cluster. I then removed the cluster and as always the hardest part of the job was removing the headlight switch. Problem solved with a good firm tug. The overlay is exceptional and once it's in place blends seemlessly on the gauge face and looks OEM. Check out the pics.

Thanks Ray!

Pic 1 of 6

Last edited:

78mphgpr

Under Estimated
Established Member
I just got done with mine about 10 minutes ago. Very nice and simple. An hour and it was done.

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
Having technical difficulties with number 6 of 6, I'll post it later.

lifter213

Established Member
Looks good! I need to get around to installing mine one of these days.

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
You calibrate it yourself per the enclosed instructions so I would say it's as accurate as any other gauge. Especially since I used my Autometer boost gauge to double check it --- result, spot on.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Looks good Arthur!
hmmm...me thinks I need one.
I'm running less than 16lbs of boost so it wouldn't be useless like it is now.

78mphgpr

Under Estimated
Established Member
I just made a pass and it and my Autometer are dead on. Like Raven said, you calibrate it with another gauge any way.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Some questions...

I just got mine in the mail today. What did you use for an air source? Looks great. I plan to do mine tommorrow or Monday.
How hard was it to snake the boost line back into the dash and connect it back up? Did you go buy the tool Ray said to use to pull the needle off? If not, what did you use?

Thanks for the info!

lethal

Established Member
Kind of off/on topic, can one of you guys tell me the part # for the clear plastic that covers our gauges? Mine is scratched and I will be replacing it during this install.

Thx.

John

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
What did you use for an air source?
I used a tool that a friend of mine had that measures air pressure. Pretty much exactly what Ray suggested in the directions.

How hard was it to snake the boost line back into the dash and connect it back up?
Very, very, very easy. On scale of 1-10 with 10 being the most difficult it was a 1. Just take your time.

Did you go buy the tool Ray said to use to pull the needle off? If not, what did you use?
Nope (and don't laugh) I used a salad fork.:D I placed a dinner napkin between the fork and the gauge face just to make sure I didn't mar it. Worked perfectly.

Oh I should point out that you will need to remove the center console cover as well as the CD changer itself. The job sounds more difficult than it is. From start to finish the whole project took me 1 hour 10 minutes.

lethal

Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
Looks good Arthur!
hmmm...me thinks I need one.
I'm running less than 16lbs of boost so it wouldn't be useless like it is now.

Why so low Tracey?

John

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
Kind of off/on topic, can one of you guys tell me the part # for the clear plastic that covers our gauges? Mine is scratched and I will be replacing it during this install.

Not sure what the part number is but depending on how scratched it is you might be able to polish it out with clear plastic polish. If it's really bad I'll sell you one of my spares real cheap. PM for details.

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
Why so low Tracey?

What she is saying is that her stock gauge is useless because it only shows up to 10 psi and she's making just under 16.

PS: I did the overlay in my other car and it took exactly 1 hour.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread