Boost issues or longtubes doing their job....tuner jinxed me and it grenaded

GoatSlayer

Banned
I had issues with my whipple 2.9 and decided to send it back to whipple to be checked out, making grinding noise. So in the mean time, i slapped my stock eaton with a 2.76 upper only.
The boost will remain at #13.4lbs until 4000rmps then after 4000rmps the boost drop to 11lbs. The car made 454rwhp at 6300rpms and 455tq.

So do i have boost issues or thats just the boost drop due to the longtubes(1 5/8)?

When i was leaving, the tuner told i need to change my idler for an aftermarket one because at some point the stock ones usually explode. Earlier today i did a 2nd gear WOT and i heard a loud snap. Popped the hood and the blower belt was just sitting there....:nonono::nonono:

pulleyyyyy.jpg

pullyeyyyyyyyyy.jpg

moot09

Established Member
Wow, my car was having basically the exact same problem. It would peak around 13lbs @ 4500 and drop to around 11.5-10 after wards. I dont have LTs though.

What I might suggest doing is double checking the blower gasket. It's metal so there might be a chance it was bent during the installation of your Eaton. This wasn't the case with mine however, it was just loss of compression Lol. Hope this helps...

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
It's the long tubes. Mine does the same. My pulley combo nets the same as yours.

I've raced others with a 2.76 and stock headers and pulled on them.

Blueline

Established Member
This is off the whipple site:

Feature of Whipple:

No "boost drop off" (stock Eaton is 13 psi @ 4000 and only 10.5 psi @ 6000).

1320 Junkie

Established Member
i had 2 blow up on me so i feel your pain...i have a F150 truck idler in the lower position now...so far so good.

black 10th vert

Established Member
This is off the whipple site:

Feature of Whipple:

No "boost drop off" (stock Eaton is 13 psi @ 4000 and only 10.5 psi @ 6000).

You can have the same "no boost drop off" with a ported Eaton. My stage 5 setup had 0 boost drop all the way to red line. It would hit 17 psi very quickly, then hold it rock solid.

i had 2 blow up on me so i feel your pain...i have a F150 truck idler in the lower position now...so far so good.

Why in the world would you bother to install a 3rd stock style idler after blowing 2 up? Just the risk of being broken down on the road somewhere would more than justify dropping $80, or so for a quality billet replacement - especially with the money you obviously have in mods already.:??:

black 10th vert

Established Member
It's the typical eaton boost bypass...it can be adjusted/modified to eliminate boost drop off at high rpm's. My car does the same thing, I don't have LT's.

here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-boost-drop-off-eliminate-boost-solenoid.html

Now that you mention it, I did have that mod done already when I did the stage 5 setup, so I'm not positive whether it was that mod, or the port that made the difference, but whatever it was, worked. I had honestly forgot about that boost solenoid bypass, thanks for bringing that up.:beer:

TerminatorSVT03

Established Member
All non ported eaton blowers have boost drop off simply because there just not that efficient superchargers at higher Rpm's unless ported!

1320 Junkie

Established Member
You can have the same "no boost drop off" with a ported Eaton. My stage 5 setup had 0 boost drop all the way to red line. It would hit 17 psi very quickly, then hold it rock solid.

Why in the world would you bother to install a 3rd stock style idler after blowing 2 up? Just the risk of being broken down on the road somewhere would more than justify dropping $80, or so for a quality billet replacement - especially with the money you obviously have in mods already.:??:

Thats all i could get on a sunday in a different state from a dealer....lol.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Thats all i could get on a sunday in a different state from a dealer....lol.

Gotcha.;-) I would probably try to pick up a BF, or Metco to replace that before it lets go with the power you are running, though!:eek: I have a dual bearing 100mm Metco for sale if you're interested.;-)

Users who are viewing this thread