Boost Guage

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
How does the stock boost gauge function for everybody? Does it rise only when you "hit it" hard? Or does it move slightly when lightly pressing the gas pedal?

Mine only moves when I "hit it" hard. Is this "normal"?

I assume that this is an electrical guage.... Anyone know for sure?

Thanks!!

Peter
:beer:

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
I doubt its electrical, but mine does the same thing. You dont see any boost until you really give it some gas. You could feather the rpm's up to 6 grand and not hit any boost. Thats just the way it works I guess.

Hammer

Established Member
I think you guys are right. It's not the boost gauge. It's the nature of a roots blower. It doesn't work like a centrifical supercharger does...it works more like a twin-screw blower like a Kenny Brown.

Boost is engauged through throttle pressure...not RPMs. That's why, for example, you can be cruising on the highway in sixth gear, at 2200 RMPs and when you step on the gas, you get instant 9 PSI.

Personally, I like this design much better than any of the Vortechs or ProChargers that I have owned.

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
Ive experienced the same things...an aftermarket boost gauge with vacuume reading will tell you the best on where and when you are going to make the power...

Also, I believe the gauge is mechanical due to the fact when i put the car in diagnostic mode and it runs the sweep of the gauges, that guage does not move so that seems to me that the guage is mechanical and cannot be moved electronically...

Rob03

Established Member
Originally posted by Hammer
My other toy has tits..

Didn't your mother break you of the habit of playing with Malibu Barbie? ;-) j/k

When you were in 6th, did you not see boost without flooring it? I have, but only because I was caught in the wrong gear. I though I was in 4th, (wasn't really paying attention here ) and I tried giving it some gas and noticed it was a little sluggish and also noticed the boost gauge moving up. It's then I realized I was still in 6th.:rolleyes: . Well I guess that means you don't need WOT to get boost.

Cheers, :beer:
Robert

Hammer

Established Member
No, man. I don't see ANY boost unless my foot's in it. I can be cruizing at 4000 RPMs and if my foot's not in it I get no boost reading whatsoever.

But, like I said, when I mat it to the floor, that boost kicks on full-force no matter what the car's RPMs are. My S-Trim and D-1 didn't behave quite that way. They required high RPMs to get max boost. I like the roots style much better - more control!

Originally posted by Rob03

Didn't your mother break you of the habit of playing with Malibu Barbie? ;-) j/k

HEY!!! Let's not get personal now! What I do with Barbie is MY business and hers. Besides; those aren't really tits...they're just little plastic bumps. What a disappointment!

Still, it's better than playing with the Ken doll, eeeh?

:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread