Boost gauge video

v8volvo

Face Smasher
Established Member
'99 Cobra boostin' - In car

Here's a quick vid I took on my way home from helping my friends at the track today. Sorry about the quality; it was taken with my Go-Pro and quickly chopped with Microsoft Movie Maker.

Rolling start from 1st gear to about 5000RPM in 4th.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9COeJc6sLKA"]YouTube - '99 Cobra boost gauge[/nomedia]

[youtube_browser]9COeJc6sLKA[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
good lookin car man.. You have a very similiar build to me. How much boost are you seeing like 18??

v8volvo

Face Smasher
Established Member
damn that's awesome!. What gearing do you have? and details on the engine CR ect??

Running 3.73's with the T-56 Magnum ratios 2.97, 2.10, 1.46, 1.00, .74, .50
The engine is 8.5:1 compression; built it too low in my mind. Next time it'll be at least 9.0-0.5:1.

Basics of the engine:

- Aluminum Teksid block bored.020 over - 284 c.i.
- Ported 'C' heads
- FR500 cams w/upgraded valve springs and oversized valves,
- 17cc dish JE forged pistons
- MODMAX forged H-beam rods
- Forged Cobra crank polished and balanced
- Complete ARP hardware top to bottom with head studs and main studs
- LDC cylinder head cooling mod.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Running 3.73's with the T-56 Magnum ratios 2.97, 2.10, 1.46, 1.00, .74, .50
The engine is 8.5:1 compression; built it too low in my mind. Next time it'll be at least 9.0-0.5:1.

Basics of the engine:

- Aluminum Teksid block bored.020 over - 284 c.i.
- Ported 'C' heads
- FR500 cams w/upgraded valve springs and oversized valves,
- 17cc dish JE forged pistons
- MODMAX forged H-beam rods
- Forged Cobra crank polished and balanced
- Complete ARP hardware top to bottom with head studs and main studs
- LDC cylinder head cooling mod.

Right on man, yea the CR is a little low for my taste as well. How do you like the 3.73's I have 4.10's with the same exact transmission and I'm thinking of going down to 3.73's. 4.10's is a lot of gear. I went from 3.55's to 4.10s btw. oh yea and Magnum FTW :beer:

v8volvo

Face Smasher
Established Member
Right on man, yea the CR is a little low for my taste as well. How do you like the 3.73's I have 4.10's with the same exact transmission and I'm thinking of going down to 3.73's. 4.10's is a lot of gear. I went from 3.55's to 4.10s btw. oh yea and Magnum FTW :beer:

I'm actually contemplating 4.10's. My friends drive Whipple'd '03-'04's and I could use a bit more torque multiplication down low when I run them from a low RPM roll plus, I find the .50 6th gear useless unless I am driving at least 130 km/h (80 mp/h). I think the 4.10's would make it more usable.

And I agree, Magnum FTW!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I'm actually contemplating 4.10's. My friends drive Whipple'd '03-'04's and I could use a bit more torque multiplication down low when I run them from a low RPM roll plus, I find the .50 6th gear useless unless I am driving at least 130 km/h (80 mp/h). I think the 4.10's would make it more usable.

And I agree, Magnum FTW!

Hmm that's good to know. I can tell you from my expierence that when racing my buddies 04 Cobra I have a hard time pulling because I'm always shifting. When we race I'm always in 3rd and him in 2nd and he always has a gear advantage. I pulled him by alot more cars when I had 3.55's and he had 3.55's because I was able to stay in gear longer and pull more. As for the 6th gear that's the whole reason why I changed to 4.10's was because I couldn't use 6th gear unless I was going 90mph lol. From my expierence though I would stick with the 3.73's and make sure that when you race from 2nd or 1st you are at 4,000rpm. That is how I race. But for me it's 4k in 3rd and him in 2nd because of my 4.10's, I still don't pull as many cars on him either.. I hope this helps. I have been contemplating buying the 04 5th and 6th gear the .50 is just to deep

v8volvo

Face Smasher
Established Member
Hmm that's good to know. I can tell you from my expierence that when racing my buddies 04 Cobra I have a hard time pulling because I'm always shifting. When we race I'm always in 3rd and him in 2nd and he always has a gear advantage. I pulled him by alot more cars when I had 3.55's and he had 3.55's because I was able to stay in gear longer and pull more. As for the 6th gear that's the whole reason why I changed to 4.10's was because I couldn't use 6th gear unless I was going 90mph lol. From my expierence though I would stick with the 3.73's and make sure that when you race from 2nd or 1st you are at 4,000rpm. That is how I race. But for me it's 4k in 3rd and him in 2nd because of my 4.10's, I still don't pull as many cars on him either.. I hope this helps. I have been contemplating buying the 04 5th and 6th gear the .50 is just to deep

It's funny you mention the 4000 rpm races!! That's always what I do, 4000 RPM starts from 2nd usually! If I'm below 4000 I'm too far out of my torque curve and my friends Whipple'd '03-'04's put a car length on me. They both run right about the 600 RWHP mark as well.

From a dig I have no problems against them tho... I may just keep my 3.73's

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It's funny you mention the 4000 rpm races!! That's always what I do, 4000 RPM starts from 2nd usually! If I'm below 4000 I'm too far out of my torque curve and my friends Whipple'd '03-'04's put a car length on me. They both run right about the 600 RWHP mark as well.

From a dig I have no problems against them tho... I may just keep my 3.73's

yea lol that's my race everytime as well lol. If you up to 4.10's trust me you will shift waaay to fast out of 2nd and be in 3rd while they are still pulling in 2nd. The 3.73's are the best gear imo. Now from a dig with my car against his it's different but I don't dig race my car since it's setup for opentracking. The transfer isn't there and most of the time I spin. See with 3.73's at 4k in 2nd we are just at out powerband for hp and tq, and the 04's with 3.55's are at like 3600 iirc which is perfect for there tq and hp.. Good luck though man you have a awesome car and I can't wait to put the 3.73's in my car. :beer:

v8volvo

Face Smasher
Established Member
yea lol that's my race everytime as well lol. If you up to 4.10's trust me you will shift waaay to fast out of 2nd and be in 3rd while they are still pulling in 2nd. The 3.73's are the best gear imo. Now from a dig with my car against his it's different but I don't dig race my car since it's setup for opentracking. The transfer isn't there and most of the time I spin. See with 3.73's at 4k in 2nd we are just at out powerband for hp and tq, and the 04's with 3.55's are at like 3600 iirc which is perfect for there tq and hp.. Good luck though man you have a awesome car and I can't wait to put the 3.73's in my car. :beer:

Thanks for your opinion on the 4:10's I'm more convinced to keep my 3.73's now :beer:

My car is set up for corners too but, I run a Mcleod RXT twin disk clutch and it's a really easy clutch to slip outta the hole; I've learned to control the power/wheel spin and get outta the hole decently considering the lack of weight transfer.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ lol this is the clutch that i wanted to begin with but money was to tight to do it all at once.. I've had good luck with the spec so far though. Yea definatley keep em. They are a perfect gear :beer:

v8volvo

Face Smasher
Established Member
I'm not a fan of SPEC products. My friends experiences with SPEC were all bad so, I steered clear of them. Yes, the RXT was pricey but, I live by the motto - Buy once, cry once. ;)

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ lol this is how i live my moto too well do it once do it right, but i took a chance and lucked out. Next clutch swap will be the RXT for sure. In my defense this is when I bought the Magnum and such, I wasn't expecting my T45 to give out at that time so money was very tight lol

Users who are viewing this thread