Boost for 6's in the 1/8th. (best / easiest)

archerychamp3d

Established Member
I have been thinking real hard about getting a centrifugal s/c or pd s/c. I would like to avoid getting a tq converter if possible so i don't have to pay someone to install it. My goals are 6's in the 1/8 mile. The most appealing part about centri's is the sound. I like the sound that it makes like its moving a large volume of air. I also feel the centri may be better on the hwy for a roll race killing corvettes on occasion, i don't roll race much at all. However i don't want to pay 5-6k for a blower and run 7.5's at the drag strip. I want to kill some hell cats there. The most appealing part about he pd blower is the low 60' foot times and the looks. So with my goals i have stated which s/c fits me the best?

I know I will need wider tires and rims to support with boost.

Can I get 6.xx slips with a paxton/vortech with tq booster stock converter ?

My car is a 2012 GT auto with kooks 1 3/4 headers, off road x pip, stock ota pipes, kooks mufflers.

Thanks in advance for your input.

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
I would think you'd need a converter to run 6's with a centri, i ran very high 6's with a TVS on a 85mm pulley.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Go VMP 2.3 TVS... Super easy to drive street car without a converter. 6's are easy. 10.90's are around 6.99 in the 1/8. Centries are turds without a converter

Vert

Established Member
Your best bet is a PD and depending on track prep you might need drag radials.

466roller

Established Member
I run 6.80-6.90 in the 1/8th @ 103mph. 10.64 @130 in the 1/4. My car is full weight with sound system/dynamat, etc. Stock converter, Stock motor with OPG's, VMP TVS and ARH exhaust. Those times are on 93. Car is only 60fting in the low 1.6's so with more timing down low I think itll run a 10th quicker. I've beat many cars from a roll that "should" be faster.

466roller

Established Member
Those times are with my 20's. It's my DD so I don't change anything on it when I hit the track. I want it to run the same on the street as it does at the track. Wheels are forged 20x9.5 off a Bentley Continental Speed. 275/35 Pirelli's in front and 305/35 Nitto 555R's in the rear. Pretty much the opposite of what most run.

oktw88

Established Member
My car ran 6.8's with a waste gate setup and a vortech. Car was just full exhaust and a vortech blower tuned on e85.

Last edited:

cjd223

Established Member
The '12 is the easiest to put a Roush/VMP on. All cover cutting can be done with a cheap right angle drill and spade bit. Took me about 5 minutes to cut my front cover.

Vert

Established Member
The '12 is the easiest to put a Roush/VMP on. All cover cutting can be done with a cheap right angle drill and spade bit. Took me about 5 minutes to cut my front cover.
Either you had a late build with a 13 timing cover or did you hace to cut the ribs off. Only 13 and 14s have the timing where the ribs dont have to be removed.

Users who are viewing this thread