Boost DRop....whats the real deal?

StRacer

Established Member
18psi at 3500 13psi at 6000, 9" crank 2.93 upper 100mm Metco idler , boost bypass. I have heard it all anybody out there really have an answer? Can I fix it or do I junk it ..... this is the main reason I'm going to the KB.

ALA G8R

Banned
You are spinning that bad boy almost 18500 rpm at 6000 engine rpm. Outlet temperature is probably killing your boost at that speed. If you want 18lbs, you definitely want to go with the KB.

StRacer

Established Member
Thats what I thought....I sure feel violated about the scam that was put on me about the headers and the throttle body......I gained basically nothing what a bunch of crap I was told:mj: so now I am spending 3500 more dollars to take advantage of the money I already wasted.......I hate people that lie!!!!!!!

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I have pretty much the same pulley set up as you, except I have the 3.5" alternator pulley. No headers or TB. I see 17.5lbs and it only drops to 16.5 or so.

edit: the dyno numbers in sig are not from this set up.

Last edited:

StRacer

Established Member
Originally posted by chillfactor
18 how or what are you doing to get 18???????????????

9" crank...2.93 upper and I push REAL hard on the gas! What baffles me is that my inlet temps on the dyno are fine ....when the car is heat soaked it only goes to 17 or so...but my hot dyno pulls were still 474 and 535 not too bad .......not sure why it does what it does but I'm tired of watching the boost drop.......tired!

I dunno...sometimes I think Ford screwed us putting the blower on it....I would rather have paid a hundred dollars less and then bought a t- trim:shrug:

StRacer

Established Member
My timing is 22 across the board and my A/F hovers around 11.2 past 4500.......480/540...anybody else seeing this kinda stuff?

trey193

Established Member
Racerat why are U only trapping 116 with that much boost??? And about the boost loss I have heard so many different opinions on this subject its crazy, and still have no idea what is the best pulley setup for the eaton for optimal et's and mph's??:shrug:

StRacer

Established Member
I should have left the car alone.....but after I put the headers on I figured what the hell....might as well do the blower too....its inevetable .....just stay away from people that tell you anything about headers.....being anything other than a waste of money! Pulleys...I would do a Metco 6lb and leave it!

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by trey193
Racerat why are U only trapping 116 with that much boost??? And about the boost loss I have heard so many different opinions on this subject its crazy, and still have no idea what is the best pulley setup for the eaton for optimal et's and mph's??:shrug:

That 1/4 mile time was not with the current set up. The 1/8th mile was, but I missed 4th. Also, my car is going be a little slower because it's a convertible. A lot of power lost through chassis flex and a little added weight.

trey193

Established Member
Yeah those 1/8's are great thats for sure especially for a vert!! U think it will trap 120 on a solid pass??

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by trey193
Yeah those 1/8's are great thats for sure especially for a vert!! U think it will trap 120 on a solid pass??
Hope to test my new half shafts this weekend. :D

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
I am alittle confused, what upper and are you running a lower pulley????? and what is your HP. I know it was said before, but I am trying to get it in one place. I am trying to compare my numbers with yours and your set up. I am only getting 13 lbs of boost and my numbers are back in my sig....so you can see why I am confused.......................( 9" crank?????????????????))

Last edited:

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
I have mentioned this numerous times....but I have the 2.80 upper still with a 6 lb lower, headers,2 1/2 inch Bassani offroad X and catback with all the other mods,cai,tb,bf idlers and a Dump Valve mod that I have mention alot from Nitrous Pete. That seems to be one of the differences with my car and most others with the boost bipass(of which I dont have at all..shut off in the diablosport chip). My cars boost is at 20lbs still about 5700 rpms and then drops to 17 up till 6500 rpms. So she does hold pretty good boost for a street car and does it over and over again with no variation.

I am having the Kennebell put on this week , so I will let you know how I like that setup. I figure it will feel about the same as my car does when I give it a 50 shot of juice with my mods as of now. With the KB having 17 or 18 lbs of boost. I will most likely go right to 23 to 25 lbs of boost to see how that feels.

Isnt this stuff fun...

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
So I guess what I am saying is the extra boost looks like you gain in TQ, but not much in the way of HP as by the numbers you posted.

StRacer

Established Member
Originally posted by chillfactor
So I guess what I am saying is the extra boost looks like you gain in TQ, but not much in the way of HP as by the numbers you posted.

Exactly, you got it.....lots of mid range......My car made like 40 more hp@4000 going from the 8" crank tothe 9" crank. There are so many people saying so many different things .......I may end up putting Speed-Pro on the car so I know what its doing and have COMPLETE control ...I hate dealing with stock electronics.

Well I guess I get to play the tuning game all over again with the KB.....I wonder how long that will take.

Users who are viewing this thread