Boost bypass mod

Matt03

Established Member
I just talked to a guy from southfloridapulley and he said that you don't have to do the boost bypass mod, all you have to do is unplug the wire on the solenoid right in front of the boost dump vavle. Do any of you guess have any thougts about this or has anyone tried it?

nate

Established Member
thats all i did on my 01 lightning. Some say that your check engine light will come on if you do it that way, but I never had a problem.

Hammer

Established Member
I believe that pulling that plug completely disables the bypass valve. That's NOT GOOD!

Silver 03 Cobra

Just don't over rev it and you will not have no problems. It's put there for a reason. I believe there is a disclaimer when you do the mod.

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
Just don't over rev it and you will not have no problems. It's put there for a reason. I believe there is a disclaimer when you do the mod.

Actually, when you completely disable the boost bypass valve (which is what happens when you pull that plug), you are taking out a very important, essential component of a supercharger system. If there is no boost bypass valve, the blower runs wide open all the time. You will hear the blower whine even when at idle. You will notice a constant 15-20 degree increase in engine temperature. It will reduce the life of the blower substantially.

Jim at JDM is the top expert at the boost bypass process. Call him. He's got a kit that disables the abuse valve but leaves the other functionality of the bypass valve intact. That's the right way to do it.

mineral03

Established Member
If you look at the actuator for the bypass valve, theres 2 seperate section... maybe one for the normal bypass valve operation, and the other for the boost dump. Find out which does which, and disconnect the one you dont want... Sound about right? cant be too hard... you dont want to disconnect the bypass valve entirely, they are there for a reason

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by mineral03
If you look at the actuator for the bypass valve, theres 2 seperate section... maybe one for the normal bypass valve operation, and the other for the boost dump. Find out which does which, and disconnect the one you dont want... Sound about right? cant be too hard... you dont want to disconnect the bypass valve entirely, they are there for a reason

You hit the nail right on the head, mineral. That's EXACTLY what it is. One of the vacuum lines is a dump sensor. Disconnect that one only and leave the other intact. You have your bypass valve and no abuse sensor (which is useless anyway).

Robb03

Established Member
What kind of gains do you get from using the boost bypass kit? Does it give you any more HP with a stock setup?

Users who are viewing this thread