Bonneville Salt Flats + Formula One

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I have alway's wondered how fast a funny car could go on the flats if you geared it towards that you know. Wonder how they'll do?

Fiveoh93Snake

Snake Bitten!
Established Member
BigSweezey said:
rough guess 240mph I think.

Geez that doesn't even seem like it would be difficult at all; think it was last year Nascar did a test at Talladega and had Rusty Wallace go around Dega doing some testing UNrestricted and they claimed speeds were right at 225 mph; he was joking about it afterwards saying down the backstretch and through tri-oval he was wideopen but just before entering turns he had to lift and car would slide almost all the way up to wall. :eek: What a friggin ride. I would think an F1 car oughta be able to get up round 275.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Yeah they should be able to hit on up there. Rusty hit 230 at the end of the back stretch in both of his unrestriced tests at Talledega. Surley an F1 could top that by a bunch. Hell Indy cars can average 230 around indianapolis.

bchisom99

Established Member
cobra_4 said:
Yeah they should be able to hit on up there. Rusty hit 230 at the end of the back stretch in both of his unrestriced tests at Talledega. Surley an F1 could top that by a bunch. Hell Indy cars can average 230 around indianapolis.

yeah, I'm thinking that 400kl/h or 240mph is probably a lowball, they are allegedly running a new engine that turns upwards or twenty two THOUSAND revs and is closer to 1100 or 1200 hp.....a nasty top gear should get they way above 240....but we will see!!!

oldmodman

Established Member
One important factor about Bonneville that you don't have to worry about on a track. Your running on salt. The traction can be all over the place. You can hook up just fine at the two mile and be sliding all over the place at the three, even with two thousand pounds of downforce. I have run bikes there and it's a really strange feeling to suddenly see your tach go from 8500 to 13,000 when you hit a slippery spot. One year the traction was so bad that I had to gear for 236 just to hit 180, that's 46mph of wheelspin going through the timing traps.
I bet the F-1 cars could hit over 300mph on concrete but may only go 250 on the salt.

bchisom99

Established Member
oldmodman said:
One important factor about Bonneville that you don't have to worry about on a track. Your running on salt. The traction can be all over the place. You can hook up just fine at the two mile and be sliding all over the place at the three, even with two thousand pounds of downforce. I have run bikes there and it's a really strange feeling to suddenly see your tach go from 8500 to 13,000 when you hit a slippery spot. One year the traction was so bad that I had to gear for 236 just to hit 180, that's 46mph of wheelspin going through the timing traps.
I bet the F-1 cars could hit over 300mph on concrete but may only go 250 on the salt.

good post, never thought about that, I can imagine that trying to laydown 1000lbs of torque might be tricky on salt...

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
oldmodman said:

No way would it hit 300 MPH.

F1 cars have really bad aero at absolute speeds cause the wheels are exposed to the wind. If they hit 400 Kph I'd be suprised...

bchisom99 said:
good post, never thought about that, I can imagine that trying to laydown 1000lbs of torque might be tricky on salt...

Especially when the car you're in only weighs 200 lbs more...

Last edited:

bchisom99

Established Member
50 BMG said:
No way would it hit 300 MPH.

F1 cars have really bad aero at absolute speeds cause the wheels are exposed to the wind. If they hit 400 Kph I'd be suprised...

Especially when the car you're in only weighs 200 lbs more...

200lbs more than an F1 car???? I think you might be crazy. . . :poke:

NotoriousJaegs

~There Goes My Hero~
Established Member
bchisom99 said:

Assuming you are speaking relative to the topic, that is a a bit unrealistic of an expectation for a N/A 3 liter V10. Those Honda boys have been making quite an impressive mill for a couple seasons now, but not 1000 foot-pound torque engine output. Now, if you are factoring in gearing and calculating the force applied to the contact patch, then I apologize ;-)
The revs are what give F1 engines their power, I hope that Honda brings these 22k rpm engines to Brazil this weekend and sticks them in the craw of one of those fricken Renaults! :fm:

Users who are viewing this thread