Bone stock coyote went into a weird limp mode on the highway

lsxjunkie

Established Member
Tonight, just after I got on the highway on my way home, I downshifted to 5th to pass someone and the car started chugging and bucking like it was running on 7 and I had no power. The CEL started flashing. Then, 30 seconds later, CEL went off and power came right back.

Car has 35600 miles. It was 40 degrees out. This happened once before in similar circumstances last year. I thought it might be some kind of limp mode because the motor was still cold, but the coolant temp was up and I'm pretty sure the oil temp was in the green as well. I didn't have the forethought to check the AFR though.

Anyone ever experience something like this before?

SCalla1384

Established Member
Has the car been to the dealer for any work? Sounds like to me it needs a neutral profile relearn. My car did the same exact thing after swapping out the clutch.

lsxjunkie

Established Member
Has the car been to the dealer for any work? Sounds like to me it needs a neutral profile relearn. My car did the same exact thing after swapping out the clutch.

Never. I don't trust dealer techs not to beat on my car. This has happened twice in 35k miles, both times in the winter, having just got on the highway from work. Both times it cleared itself out inside of a minute and I got power back. I wonder if I'm not letting the car warm up enough and it's some kind of self protection in the factory tune.

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
My A6 car did this same thing basically. Installed a new tune revision and went out to make a few hits on the back roads. After a couple hits the check engine light comes on and seems to be running on 7 cylinders. I ease back home thinking I'm the newest #8 victim. Hook up my programmer to pull the code but there isn't one. Crank the car up and its running fine. The very next day I ran the times in my SIG! Still not sure WTF happened.

Users who are viewing this thread