Bolt on cobra with cams?

NiceCobra

Established Member
I was cruising around on the weekend and passed a cammed terminator at a light. It sounded SO damn nice!

I've been throwing around the idea of adding some cams to my 03 cobra with 2.76 upper, jlt rai, o:r prochamber and stingers. I'm currently tuned at 478whp 468tq. I'm also ordering the killer chiller to help keep things cool

Now I know that cams are not the best dollar spent for hp. But I can't get that cam lope out of my head!! Haha

What brand cams would you guys recommend for my setup and what other supporting mods would be needed? How much more power do you think I could get by throwing a set of cams in 20-40whp? How much would it typically cost to have cams installed $1500 or so?

Car is a weekend car only now that my work just gave me a work truck last week.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
What brand cams would you guys recommend for my setup and what other supporting mods would be needed? How much more power do you think I could get by throwing a set of cams in 20-40whp? How much would it typically cost to have cams installed $1500 or so?

Other supporting mods? Car will need a new tune.

How much more power depends on what grind you choose. I ran crower s3 shelf grinds 10 years ago on a ported eaton setup; picked up 30hp at the most.

Personally I'd worry about finding someone local (or w/e you prefer) that knows how to install/degree cams. Tuning a cammed cobra probably isn't as big a deal as it was 10 years ago but I would also do some research there.

Make sure your "work truck" is "yours" for a while before tearing into your motor, since it seems you were DDing your cobra before.

ModMike1572

Established Member
When I was pullied only, I was deciding between a port and cams or a TVS. I couldnt get the cam sound out of my head too. Both would have been the same price. I went with the TVS and couldnt be happier. That doesnt really help you much, but just wanted to share my cool story bro. Most people do cams far down the line in order of mods just because the cost and labor involved vs what you get out of it. Sounds sick though.

HandBanana

Established Member
Cams are only worthwhile if you blow the motor and are already in there to rebuild it. They are CRAZY expensive for very little benefit on your set-up. You'd be better off going TVS, Whipple, etc and supporting mods. If you go used, you'll be able to swing all that for 4k.

NiceCobra

Established Member
Yea I'm still on the fence about what I want to do. I'm sure I'll end up going the bigger blower route instead .
Thanks for the info fellas

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I agree with what's been said above but if you have the $$ go for it they sound great!!

I have Stage 3 Comp Cams, sometimes I just start it up and listen to it idle

NiceCobra

Established Member
Haha yea I love the sound of a nice cam. I'm selling my quad on Sunday so I will have around 5k to work with. I just have to decide which route I want to go.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
If its a choice on either cams or supercharge?

Supercharger wins that one every time!!

You can always do them down the road

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread