bolt on 98 cobra vs bolt on STI

BooRail85

Banned
Well.. had an encounter tonight with a friend of mine.. he just got some mods on his car and wanted to run..

his car is a 03 STI w/ headers, uppipe, down pipe, midpipe, catback, intake, custom FMIC w/ hardpipes, 16psi.

my cobra has intake, o/r exhaust, 4.30's, alum. driveshaft and flywheel and 15" centerline wheels..

we hit it from about a 40 roll.. i got an instant jump, but he caught up in third.. we stayed about dead even until i got into 4th and he slowly pulled.. got about a half car or so when i was about 115, then let off..

needless to say, I was pleased with the results.. i was assuming that with those mods, he would spank me..

vids coming soon! He's doing 18-20 psi, injectors, race gas and a tune.. Im doing the suspension, long tubes and 75 shot.. we're heading to the track in a couple weeks to get some footage!!

jgheels2003

Established Member
BooRail85 said:
Well.. had an encounter tonight with a friend of mine.. he just got some mods on his car and wanted to run..

his car is a 03 STI w/ headers, uppipe, down pipe, midpipe, catback, intake, custom FMIC w/ hardpipes, 16psi.

my cobra has intake, o/r exhaust, 4.30's, alum. driveshaft and flywheel and 15" centerline wheels..

we hit it from about a 40 roll.. i got an instant jump, but he caught up in third.. we stayed about dead even until i got into 4th and he slowly pulled.. got about a half car or so when i was about 115, then let off..

needless to say, I was pleased with the results.. i was assuming that with those mods, he would spank me..

vids coming soon! He's doing 18-20 psi, injectors, race gas and a tune.. Im doing the suspension, long tubes and 75 shot.. we're heading to the track in a couple weeks to get some footage!!

Nice run man! I love that red btw. I think you will handle him at the track with the next round of mods.

(kind of strange for the STI- If its still on the stock turbo- to get larger injectors for a race gas tune. The timing adjustments and leaner A/F adjustments needed for a race gas tune won't demand as much fuel from the stockers even with that upped boost)

Good luck at the track!

evo connevo

Established Member
Was he tuned when u raced him? I believe they can run 18-20 psi when tuned on the turbo 93 octane. After that the race gas will help a lil with the hp and a ton with the torque

BeattySTi

Import Traitor
Established Member
we didnt get 2003 STi's over here, so it must have been an 04+...im not starting anything just sayin...anyway nice run

scorcher2005

USMC
Established Member
BeattySTi said:
we didnt get 2003 STi's over here, so it must have been an 04+...im not starting anything just sayin...anyway nice run

I was bout to say that. It is most likely just an 03 WRX with some mods. Still on the stock turbo with those mods he is maybe pushin 250whp

BooRail85

Banned
no, no.. it was definitely a STI.. I wasnt sure on the year, so aparantly it is a 04+ .. he did have a tune when i raced him, but not for race gas.. and he says he is getting the bigger injectors in preperation for his turbo upgrade coming up..

Quik Z06

Established Member
Well from a roll it sounds about right from a dig assuming he could launch im sure he would get you bad. I have a couple friends with the same cars 98 Cobra and 04 Sti, the Cobra has all the bolts ons, + cams, 100 shot and drag radials and he barely beat our buddies STi from a dig. The Sti has a TBE, intake and Ecutek and he can launch very well. I have the vid (not very good, camera phone) but it wasnt easy for the Cobra.

Good run though, once you both upgrade again try from a dig and a roll to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread