Body shop guys, come on in

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Even though rust never sleeps, I'm looking to get some rust repaired on the rear wheel wells on my Superduty, it's not hideous, but noticeable nonetheless. At the same time, I think it'd be worth it to get some other small odds and ends to take care of too, small ding near the fuel door.. also where I had some factory mudflaps behind all the wheels looks like some rust accumulated over time.

Any tips on knowing what to ask about as far as repair methods? How would you guys repair this? My guess it's going to need cutout and something new into it's place and painted to match, along with painting of the bed to help blend?

It would be nice to know some info besides what an estimator/quoter is going to tell me what needs to be done, as I know very little about body repairs.

Thanks for anyone who replies.

Here's a few pics of worst rust.

SD5.gif

SD65.gif

86gt30283

Established Member
repair

That will be a fun one.. two tone as well fords silvers are great to match... But It should be cut out and new metal put in its place... hopefully they will be good metal fabs. or get a patch panel and use whats needed... hole bed will be painted and that pinstipe is ford patented so make sure you ask how they are going to do that... it is possible to match it up right useing two types of stripe... actually just did a superduty last week it was that same silver two tone but top half was three stage red... Good luck with your repair... if you werent so far away i would give you buiness card.....

V-Sicks

Established Member
I work at a body shop and first hand i would say buying a used bed side and just have them cut and replace the flair

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Thanks. I would almost be inclined to get a whole new bed, but I had Line-X sprayed in earlier this Spring. I don't think repair should be that big of a deal.

I was thinking about just asking the body shop to go ahead and pull the rest of the pinstripe off the cab once they tear into the bed.

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
That will be a fun one.. two tone as well fords silvers are great to match... But It should be cut out and new metal put in its place... hopefully they will be good metal fabs. or get a patch panel and use whats needed... hole bed will be painted and that pinstipe is ford patented so make sure you ask how they are going to do that... it is possible to match it up right useing two types of stripe... actually just did a superduty last week it was that same silver two tone but top half was three stage red... Good luck with your repair... if you werent so far away i would give you buiness card.....

i agree.

08427r

Established Member
eaiset way would be cut out the rust and fab your own panels..replacing the bedside is way more work than u need to do..i do rust all the time and thats how i do it

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
just cut out the small portionthat is rusted, no way should you replace the entire bed taht would cost you way too much

LS1_KILLA

Banned
to do it right, putting a new bedside is the only way.. it is a fairly new truck.. do you really want it hacked up? like someone has stated.. i'd go to a junk yard and get a used bedside..

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Just an update, I did just recently get it repaired last weekend. It took a little searching to find upper wheel arch rust repair panels. One insurance orientated collision shop that quoted me an insane repair price told me they didn't exist and would have to be hand fabbed if I didn't want to find a bed. The shop that did the work couldn't find anything locally so I did some searching and got the panels, which was actually a lot harder to find than I would have thought.

I found them on Auto Body Parts, Body Panel, Quarter Panels, Rocker, Door Skins, Floor Pans

I was inclined to do a whole bed after not being able to find patch panels at first, and there's a few places around here that might have a 99-07 Shortbox for a Superduty but to me it was still a stretch unless I was looking for a long bed, but since I found the panels I went that route.

They did a great job, I'll post up some pics this weekend.

Last edited:

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
After getting my bedside upper wheel arches repaired, I asked if the body man could do a little extra.

BedR2.gif

BedR1.gif

BedR3.gif

And some of the extra stuff;

GW95.gif

GW96.gif

+05 Grill and tow mirrors smoothed and painted. A painted 99-04 front bumper is up next.

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member
They did a great job, truck looks sharp. I am just surprised that the rust got that bad on such a new truck. Do they salt the roads heavily near you?

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Yeah pretty good amount of salt.

There was this foam inside the original arches of the body, I guess mud and dirt, salt, whatever else got up in there trapped and rusted it out from the inside. The body guy said that's what he sees usually happen, and not every year Superduty has foam in there. I got a piece of the rusted part cut out I'll get a picture of.

Users who are viewing this thread