Body shop and painters step in please

redrocket16

Established Member
My dad's in the final disassembly process of his old dodge pickup and it's time to get some paint on it. A lot of the old school guys are saying enamel but I am leery of the paint lasting past 5 years. The 2 lines he's looking at for a 2 stage job are: DuPont Nason or PPG Deltron. What are the pro's/con's to these 2? Approx how many gallons should it take to coat an old dodge half ton pickup truck?

Thanks everyone for the help.

redrocket16

Established Member
I knew there was someone who posted in this area in regards to painting but not many. I'm just a lurker at autogeek but I can register to ask them over there.

coachL

Established Member
Nason is there cheap brand. If you want it to last , look at lesnoal and ppg

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Single stage enamel? thats an old school style of paint. Base/clear is where its at. Nason and Delton are both cheaper sub brands. If you go with a base/clear you can use just about any decent affordable brand, just use a good name brand "expensive" clear to go over top of it.

For example; If you use a Nason base coat, then use the top brand Dupont Clearcoat. The clear is where you will get your shine and protection from.

If he is painting the whole truck, inside and out, jams, under hood, all that… 2 gallons.

I don't have any painting experience but I use to work for BASF as a sales rep.

best of luck.

redrocket16

Established Member
Thanks fellas. His pickup is old school and I literally had to beg him to get it repainted. I will let him know about the top quality clear coat on top of whichever option he goes with. It will be the entire truck. We have it completely disassembled at the moment to get it repainted the correct way. It won't be a color change but the last paint the truck saw in the '70's was put on by a paint brush no joke so it's time to completely rebuild the truck from the bottom up.

Tispho

Established Member
Get a gallon of DBC deltron (will give you 2 gallons mixed) from eBay and use southern polyurethane universal clear.

Usually a gallon of DBC deltron can run you up to $1000, but the paint on eBay is discounted because its mixed the wrong color, or other reason. Perfectly usable.

Last edited:

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I like PPG paint products, Deltron being about the best in this line. The PPG Deltron Concept clear is pretty strong and has very good UV protection. The PPG Shop Line product line is also good and is what I have been using for the past few years. I changed over when the cost of Deltron went through the roof. 1 gallon of color (2 gallons reduced) did half of my 99 Ranger, the front half, doors and cab inside and out including the engine compartment. It was a color change so everything was done except under the carpet and a little under the door panels. That is 4 good coats of color with a tiny bit left over. A gallon of clear mixed out to 1 1/2 gallons and 3 wet coats went a little further then the base coat. 1 gallon of base coat should cover the outside of a full size truck in most cases. Not including the jambs, inside the bed, or under the hood. From what you describe it is going to take 2 gallons of color and 2 gallons of clear. At least 1 1/2 gallons of clear but it is less expensive to just buy the 2 gallons. Here is a link to my truck if you are interested. This job was similar to what you are planning and includes some additional info that may be useful to you.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?982199-Life-after-the-quot-Terminator-quot

DSC08260_zps3e98da7c.jpg

DSC08261_zpsea8a2e5b.jpg

Last edited:

redrocket16

Established Member
Thanks everyone, the responses are appreciated. He just had a mobile media blaster come out to strip the cab and the bed of the truck as he had already stripped the smaller items. The blaster did a great job and was fairly reasonable for the work/travel he had to do. The truck pieces are off to the body/paint person and should be back in the next few months in different stages to get the truck back on the road soon.

Users who are viewing this thread