Bob's Ultimate Oil Separator Question

68gtscode

Established Member
I just finished installing a Bob's oil separator on my GT500. Overall the kit was very high quality and I'm happy with it. That said, I wasn't able to prevent the longer line from crimping a slight amount before it connects to the straight fitting on the back of the blower (it's not noticeable in the picture). I played around with the line for a while before cutting to length, but despite my best effort, the line seems to want to "fold" a little bit. It's not all the way closed, but it definitely isn't maintaining the original volume of the line. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding whether this will affect performance? Does anyone know whether it would affect performance to replace the straight fitting on the back of the blower with a 90-degree fitting, like the one that is on the cam cover? Thanks in advance!

f8le.jpg

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I don't recall having any tight bends with mine. I can't really tell from your picture what you're talking about.

68gtscode

Established Member
I'm having a hard time getting it to show up clearly in pics, but here is one that may show it better. I played around with the length for some time to try to prevent this... It is not bad, but does have a slight pinch. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I may be over reacting. Regardless, I'd be interested to learn if others have had this issue, and what they've done to remedy it if so. Right now I'm thinking about buying a 90 degree fitting to replace the straight one on the blower side.

26sd.JPG

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Oh I don't think you have anything to worry about. Doubt that small bend will hurt anything.

OFLM

Established Member
I had the same issue. Had to turn the bottom of the catch can slightly open to remove the kink. Does not seem to leak and still catches oil. I still would like the fittings on the can to line up. Perfectionist also.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Hmm, while I don't think any issues will come from that in terms of air flow, I do understand being a perfectionist.

What I would suggest is that you try rotating the hose and see if that helps. On the red side of the fitting, the back 'nut' can spin and rotate the hose. I would use an adjustable wrench but put some masking tape on the faces so you don't mar the finish. (or if you have a set of AN wrenches).

Give me a shout if that doesn't help. :cheers:

68gtscode

Established Member
Thanks for the input OFLM and Steve- much appreciated! I'm going out of town this weekend, but will be able to give your ideas a try next week. I'll report back with my findings then. Thanks again!

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Not to Thread-Jack:
Does anyone have a pic showing this installed on an '11/'12?
With the Ford Racing silver/chrome strut brace @ the same time?
>
Based on pics from my internet research:
It seems the "body-tab" around the strut-tower/chassis where the grounding straps bolt to changed between '05-'09 & '10-'13 bodies.......
>
In the pic above I can't see the actually mounting point- if they used the original "ground" bolt or there was an additional "hole" & the kit uses this spare opening w/ supplied bolt.

68gtscode

Established Member
In the pic above I can't see the actually mounting point- if they used the original "ground" bolt or there was an additional "hole" & the kit uses this spare opening w/ supplied bolt.

I can't speak for the newer cars, but my kit included a new bolt that is used to secure the bracket via the threaded ground hole. No new hold necessary... Basically, you unbolt the ground, and replace the original bolt with the new bolt included in the kit. The ground goes right on top of the oil separator bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread