Bob's Oil Separator Install Supplement

acroholic

Established Member
I got my Bob's Ultimate Oil Separator the other day from Van at Revan Racing. Beautiful unit. Nicely made. I ran into the same problem BrettR had with the installation I saw cited in another thread here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2013-shelby-gt500-413/903764-bobs-ultimate-oil-separator.html

The problem starts when you try to attach the separator hoses to the factory barbed connectors that attach to the PCV valve and the supercharger. You have to have the heat shrink hose clamp on the end of the braided hose, or it will never slide completely over the end of the barbed factory connector. I am not a bodybuilder, but I have good grip, and I ran into the same issue BrettR had in the above cited thread. The factory connector didn't slide all the way to the end, no matter what I did or how hard I pushed. I even used silicone plumbing lube. I got as far a BrettR did (his two pics below):

4a9evyde.jpg

eqygeje6.jpg

This was ridiculous, and it should not be that hard to get the oil separator hose on the factory connectors. So here is my fix for that. Since the hose with the clamp on it doesn't have enough give to allow you to push the barbed fitting in, make the barbed fitting more narrow. Remove the blue o-ring from the barbed fittings, and either use some sandpaper, or a Dremel like I did, to remove the top edge of all the barbs the entire way around the fitting. You don't have to take it all off, just enough to slightly decrease the diameter of the factory fitting. I was able to reinstall the o-rings and use them again, but I really don't think it matters if they are there or not.

After I did that, I was able to push the hose ends with the heat shrink clamps on them all the way to the end of the factory barbs. Pics of what I did below, pics of hose with heat shrinked clamps successfully installed on the factory barbs, and pic of the installed Bob's Ultimate Oil Separator below.

CIMG5074_zps853d3f9a.gif

CIMG5075_zpsd5189ebc.jpg

CIMG5076_zps09087a7d.jpg
CIMG5078_zps0b414eac.jpg
CIMG5079_zpsac29987e.jpg
CIMG5080_zpsfaf2dfa9.jpg
CIMG5082_zpsbf070c45.jpg
CIMG5083_zps7b517810.jpg
CIMG5084_zps1a44e8f9.jpg

Twitchgreen

Established Member
Just did my install. I ran some hot water on the ends of the hoses to open them up & let the connectors slide in. I also slit the heat shrink clamps & used them as protection under some stainless hose clamps. This avoided the problem of trying to slide the heat shrink clamps in place...super difficult in my opinion. I also now can easily go back to stock if needed. I also ended up cutting about 4 inches off the hose going to the supercharger due to the hose kinking. I taped the hose off with electrical tape first to stop the braid from fraying.

IMG_0997.jpg

acroholic

Established Member
Just did my install. I ran some hot water on the ends of the hoses to open them up & let the connectors slide in. I also slit the heat shrink clamps & used them as protection under some stainless hose clamps. This avoided the problem of trying to slide the heat shrink clamps in place...super difficult in my opinion. I also now can easily go back to stock if needed. I also ended up cutting about 4 inches off the hose going to the supercharger due to the hose kinking. I taped the hose off with electrical tape first to stop the braid from fraying.

IMG_0997.jpg
I ordered a replacement stock fitting/hose piece from my ford dealer. Cost $20. I like your strut tower brace. Any issues with it fitting under the stock hood?

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Why do you guys keep covering up your oil filler caps with the new hose? Don't you think it will be a PITA for oil changes?

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I didn't really think of it at the time...but the hose is easily adjustable.

Yeah, my car was finally delivered today and I have the oil can at the house waiting to install. My plan is to trim the hose to curve around he cap in the inside.

acroholic

Established Member
Yeah, my car was finally delivered today and I have the oil can at the house waiting to install. My plan is to trim the hose to curve around he cap in the inside.

I'm not sure you can do that with this Separator version. The anodized fittings add a bit of length, and the core of the braided hose provided with the Separator is the same hard plastic tubing as comes stock. You need a certain tubing length to make the bend without kinking, and you can kink the braided line in the separator easily.

Kinda hard to explain in a post. You'll probably see what I mean when you install it.

It takes about 1 second to disconnect the separator hose from the PVC valve if you need access to the oil cap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread