Bob's oil separator and 800 miles...

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
Just a tad over 800 on the odometer. Been fairly easy on things. Only a couple hard accelerations. No WOT pulls or anything crazy.

Amazing there is this much blow by from stop and go traffic!

null-10.gif

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
It really won't hurt anything to keep driving your new car while you wait on the oil seperator to arrive. Most of that blowby passes harmlessly into the combustion chamber and is burned along with the other hydrocarbons. Order your seperator. Install it and enjoy it when it arrives, but don't be afraid to drive the car until then. We're only talking days or weeks at most.

masonh

Established Member
It really won't hurt anything to keep driving your new car while you wait on the oil seperator to arrive. Most of that blowby passes harmlessly into the combustion chamber and is burned along with the other hydrocarbons. Order your seperator. Install it and enjoy it when it arrives, but don't be afraid to drive the car until then.

+1 These high performance cars all do it and they have been lasting long periods of time without catch cans. You will be fine without it for a while. I look at the catch cans as kind of like upgrading from Motorcraft oil to 100% synthetic. The benefits aren't really quantifiable, but i think they are there.

That being said, I do think the catch cans are good especially on air fed motors. I have one I bought the Moroso with the big -12an fittings to make sure I wasn't going to limit the size of the PCV system from the factory, and I catch a bunch of oil too. First time I opened it I was expecting to see maybe a teaspoon. It had been maybe 500 miles and I kept reading people say 1 teaspoon or 2 teaspoons for 1000 miles. Mine needed to measured in ounces.

I can't tell exactly what size container the OP is showing his caught oil in, but I would say it looks about exactly the same amount I had in about 500 miles.

Go ahead and drive it and enjoy the car.

Montana

Ford and Mopar Guy
Established Member
I pick up my GT500 from the dealer in the morning and have a 400 mile drive home. I was hoping for all smiles, but this thread has me thinking that my drive home will be haunted with bad thoughts of my engine being force fed some oil....

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I pick up my GT500 from the dealer in the morning and have a 400 mile drive home. I was hoping for all smiles, but this thread has me thinking that my drive home will be haunted with bad thoughts of my engine being force fed some oil....

Fear not. Many of us had to put some miles on our cars before installing adds-ons like oil separators. If you're similarly inclined to install one, I recommend Bob's Ultimate, available from Bob's Auto Sports or Revan Racing. Both are great vendors who provide great products, outstanding service, and are regular contributors in these forums.

Users who are viewing this thread