Bobs Auto Sports Oil Seperator

80KM2E

Established Member
Hi all,

Just thought I'd post a quick write up on Bob's oil separator...

I've always been skeptical about these catch cans and why you'd even would need one....However, I was recommended by Ford Racing to get a catch can with my Track-Cal tune. Ford doesn't even sell these, so I took their recommendation seriously & quickly looked into my options...

This involved a lot of searching around forums, asking people questions and looking at the options of breathers, different types of cans, sizes, passenger & driver sides.. It almost seemed impossible to find "the best one" until I stumbled upon Bob's & only found positive things being said about it... So I finally decided to pick this one up- a plain passenger side in matte black for my 2014 GT.

Install was straight forward. Make sure you have a sharp knife to cut the tube to size. And the stock tube fittings are a bitch to cut off.

Installed:
SFzsDPxFbQdrpGhJoOR7B3y2nSzVSOTITIpfGN9SZ38M=w1726-h1281-no

Closeup:
WBNNGn-44gc5o3luDfukIS5E6QiGazha5wTxm2_-boMh=w1726-h1281-no

Testing it out.. I did a day of Autocross and this is what it caught after a couple runs:

syiovXRKbs4zHEH2eF38sds2l40-jGeIDGC7kLCnrNCD=w1024-h1129-no

Finally, I did a lot of driving in past two weeks. Very, Very, VERY aggressive driving in mountain roads. This is a 3oz Dixie cup which was almost 1/2 filled... it was shocking to see that much oil come out of the can.

KC_7xjlIj3k5pLml3MwOi7dZa0WwJBLWxUs9p_H_kYWF=w1024-h992-no

So I think this is doing its job.. Its definitely catching a LOT of oil. I love the valve on the bottom, it really makes draining it fun.

The can is well built, a lot heavier than I thought it would be.

Only downsides to this can I can see are the hoses aren't as pretty with the white lettering print all over them, and the one metal fitting had "China" printed on it. But everything seems to be working great and I'm super glad I went with this one over the other options.

Thanks Bob's Auto Sports for making a great product.

Let me know if any you have questions or want more pictures.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I have a Bobs can as well, catches quite a bit, though I suspect I would still see oil in the IM. Going to pull the TB off and take a look. I have a CFM passenger side breather on order and hopefully it will get here next week.

2806rtz.jpg

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
I have a Bob's as well, it's a nice piece for sure, I sprung for the braided line and AN fittings, looks so quality

toomnymods

Established Member
i have the bobs oil seperator as well.. what are my options for when I go boosted? my twin install is about halfway done now. do i just keep it hooked up like i did when i was when i was n/a and only to passenger side or does it also need to be connected to the driver side and t'd into the passenger side?
any one got any pics? thanks..

80KM2E

Established Member
OP: how many miles on your car? what kind of break in procedure did you use, aggressive or conservative?

24,000 km on the car now.. I bought the car at 2,000 km and I always drive very hard on this car. conservative and mustang shouldn't be allowed in the same sentence haha

by9468840

Established Member
Bobs here too. I switched to bobs after running jlt on my roush tvs motor. I removed the throttle body once. Back side and around the gasket was soaked in oil. After seeing this I switched to bobs. Just changed my spark plugs and while at it removed the tb. It was bone dry in the back. Bobs ftw!

stags

Established Member
Interesting result-

Datalogged my stock car for AED tune today. Had four degrees of knock at wot.

Went to a buddy who had a spare bobs. Put it on and went back to datalog again not more than 2 hrs later. Max knock was 2.5.

I'd say it works... Food for thought

70monte

Established Member
I just re-installed my Bob's can on my 2014 GT due to the O-ring on my four chamber UPR can stretching out to the point it wouldn't work anymore.

I also installed the Bob's can in the corner of the engine compartment near the master cylinder instead of on the strut tower. The can stays much cooler there. I ordered a short bracket from Bob's to mount it. Here are a few pictures.
004_zpskok272xp.jpg

002_zpslsbzph19.jpg

003_zpserqvggjx.jpg

001_zpsa7qc2tiy.jpg

scott_0

Established Member
I just re-installed my Bob's can on my 2014 GT due to the O-ring on my four chamber UPR can stretching out to the point it wouldn't work anymore.

I also installed the Bob's can in the corner of the engine compartment near the master cylinder instead of on the strut tower. The can stays much cooler there.
two questions, why did you remove the Bob's in favor of a UPR???

and does a catch can "need" to be kept cool? lol

70monte

Established Member
two questions, why did you remove the Bob's in favor of a UPR???

and does a catch can "need" to be kept cool? lol

When UPR came out with their new 4 chamber catch can, it looked pretty interesting so I wanted to try it out. It seems to do very well. I still like the Bob's can though and have no hesitation on using it as it has done very good as well.

As far as the catch can needing to be cool, it doesn't, but some catch can companies have concluded that the can will do better the cooler it is and the longer run of hoses also helps keep oil from getting to the intake.

With my Bob's can mounted on the strut tower, I still would have a slight film of oil inside the fitting that attaches to the intake. I wanted to see if the cooler mounting location and the longer hoses would eliminate the oil film. The short bracket only cost about $10 and the longer hoses were not much so I don't have much money tied up in trying this out.

Wayne

70monte

Established Member
so the UPR can is no good?

Actually the new four chamber can seems to work very well. Until the O-ring situation, I had run this can for about 1,100 miles and caught right under 4 teaspoons of oil which is the same amount I catch with the Bob's can at the same mileage. The fitting that attaches to the intake barb also was pretty dry with only a very slight trace of oil on the Q-tip. It actually seemed slightly drier than my Bob's can is at about the same mileage. I did modify my UPR can slightly by putting some extra SS mesh I had in the bottom of the can to keep the captured oil from bouncing around to get caught in the air stream.

The only real weakness I see with the UPR can right now is that the O-ring they use to seal the bottom can to the top portion is very thin and seems to bind up and expand when screwing the bottom on if you are not careful. I have read a couple of other posts online of people experiencing the same problem. UPR is sending me a couple of new O-rings and I will have to make sure I lubricate them with something to help prevent them from binding up.

I like the fact that the Bob's can has a drain valve on the bottom as well as being bigger. At this point I wouldn't quit using the Bob's to get a UPR. I just like experimenting with catch cans and is why I have several different ones. Here is a picture of my UPR can installed.
002_zpsgdc6m94z.jpg

001_zpsthyunjqh.jpg

I'm going to run this Bob's setup for about a 1,000 miles and see how much it catches and if I see any signs of oil at the intake. With the can next to the master cylinder, you can leave your hand on the can without being burned after driving the car. Not so with the Bob's can on the strut tower or the UPR can at the firewall. Both are so hot you can burn your hand on them.

Wayne

Users who are viewing this thread