Boat Trailer No title?

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
Im purchasing a boat this week, and the guy whos selling it doesnt have a title for the trailer?

How big of an issue is this? Ive seen more and more boats online without titles for a trailer. can someone give me advice?

Thanks.

JC:beer:

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
Other then the fact you need to register it. There is something going on if he doesn't have it....I'd stay away

§ 46.2-104. Possession of registration cards; exhibiting registration card and licenses; failure to carry license or registration card.

The operator of any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer being operated on the highways in the Commonwealth, shall have in his possession: (i) the registration card issued by the Department or the registration card issued by the state or country in which the motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer is registered, and (ii) his driver's license, learner's permit, or temporary driver's permit.

Last edited:

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
THANKS!!!

If he is saying that he doesn't have a title for the trailer...

1. its stolen
2. when he bought it the person didnt have it...aka stolen

Everytime you go somewhere you will take the chance in getting a ticket or even towed. A cop can take both the boat and trailer.

STAY AWAY FROM IT...TRUST ME

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
The trailer will have a VIN number....get that and go to DMV and see what the deal is with it. I'd help you, but its against the law for me to run that for you.

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
THANKS!!!

If he is saying that he doesn't have a title for the trailer...

1. its stolen
2. when he bought it the person didnt have it...aka stolen

Everytime you go somewhere you will take the chance in getting a ticket or even towed. A cop can take both the boat and trailer.

STAY AWAY FROM IT...TRUST ME

Thanks.

Let me talk to him in the AM and try to find out why he doesnt have a title. I just seen this on his ebay posting.

But your right, If he owns it, i dont see why he cant goto the DMV and tell them he lost the title, and needs a new one.

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
002-2.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
Well its cute if you like that color green.

I've been looking for a Baja or go fast boat for the last few weeks. If you go to traderonline.com you can get some great deals. If thats what you want, there are a lot of them for sale on craigslist as well.

Dude make sure you make that right decision

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
Oh and make sure you take the online boating course that VA requires now for all boat operators. Its like a 2 day course.

G/L

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
Well speaking with the guy, He has never titled the trailer, or boat for that matter. He just swaps plates with his utility trailer and tosses them onto the boat trailer.

Guess that deal is a sunkin' ship.

Snakesvt04

SCREW THIS
Established Member
Well speaking with the guy, He has never titled the trailer, or boat for that matter. He just swaps plates with his utility trailer and tosses them onto the boat trailer.

Guess that deal is a sunkin' ship.

you can always just buy a trailer on craigslist with a title, you can fine some real cheap ones. i myself just purchased sea doo 1800 sportster 2 weeks ago you will love it. i was out all weekend with it. is yours twin engine?

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
you can always just buy a trailer on craigslist with a title, you can fine some real cheap ones. i myself just purchased sea doo 1800 sportster 2 weeks ago you will love it. i was out all weekend with it. is yours twin engine?

Single Engine. I found another one im looking at now. How familier are you with these? If i sent you a link would you take a look?

Snakesvt04

SCREW THIS
Established Member
Single Engine. I found another one im looking at now. How familier are you with these? If i sent you a link would you take a look?

send me a link. i'm no expert but i did my research on the jet boats. plus a guy i work with knows a lot about jet ski's and jet boats, so he has givin me some good info. send the link and let me know what exactly you need to know

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
For all new vehicles (including trailers) the manufacturer must supply a Certificate of Origin to the original purchaser, who should use it to title the vehicle in his own name.

Providing he could find it, I guess it's possible that you could use that document to title it yourself, but that could be a BIG mess at the DMV since the original owner didn't do it. I would only agree to this deal if the seller went and titled the trailer first...

Users who are viewing this thread