BMR suspension drag vs non

lenny127

Established Member
so as im trying to wrap up my 14 GT i have one last thing to do which is to buy a BMR suspension drop kit 1.5" with panhard and the other stuff that comes with it ... i was leaning towards the drag springs because i do drag race it (about 130 passes since i bought the car 20 months ago) .... after reading more i saw it mentioned that possibly the drag springs drop you 1" front and 1.5" out back but the non drag springs they offer drop you 1.5" all around .

my car isnt a dedicated racer , matter fact i race at full weight 3850lbs with me in it , M6 3.73 on 19 inch wheels 305 nittos and just dialing in a mid 11 sec daily driver that i do want to finish out the looks with a proper wheel gap and stance .

any input on the matter would be appreciated , doubt that one set of springs over the next will make that huge of a deal at the track from BMR so i may go for the one that leaves the rake alone if indeed what i saw mentioned was true.

thanks for any help

3E56E72F-3EBF-4772-A093-0647BD884685.png_zpsj9ujc06b.jpg

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I like the look of the front sitting a little lower then the back... You could buy BMR front springs, and just cut a coil out of your rears... Are you on Brembo packaged springs now?

wile e coyote

Established Member
Pretty sure BMR has 3 spring options. A street spring, a performance spring, and the drag setup

street spring is for the everyday guy just looking to lower his/her car, the performance spring has higher spring rates and is more for........well performance obviously!! probably track days, autocross etc, and the drag spring is obvious again. Its going to have lower spring rates in the rear and probably higher in the front to optimize weight transfer.

That being said, you could still daily on a set of drag springs. People have been doing that for years in the foxbody's with Eibach drag springs with the airbag in there. If you aren't worried about charging every corner balls deep and tend to spend more time at the dragstrip, go for it.

I have the street springs and honestly wouldn't want it any stiffer. Im way more of a corner carving kind of guy though.........I have the entire BMR catalog on my car and couldn't be happier with their products. Very nice stuff.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
BMR drag springs are stiffer then stock GT springs, so they are fine for daily driving...
I'm having good luck with stock springs w/ a coil cut off on all 4 corners

lenny127

Established Member
Awesome looking car, wish I had a more construction response lol. You drag at Irwindale?

last year when I was on Bridgestone street tires yeah , i used to go dial in the 60s but trying to get to 11.49 as it drives daily so I race mostly at Famoso in bakersfield now and every now and again ill go to Fontana TNT to have fun.

lenny127

Established Member
Pretty sure BMR has 3 spring options. A street spring, a performance spring, and the drag setup

street spring is for the everyday guy just looking to lower his/her car, the performance spring has higher spring rates and is more for........well performance obviously!! probably track days, autocross etc, and the drag spring is obvious again. Its going to have lower spring rates in the rear and probably higher in the front to optimize weight transfer.

That being said, you could still daily on a set of drag springs. People have been doing that for years in the foxbody's with Eibach drag springs with the airbag in there. If you aren't worried about charging every corner balls deep and tend to spend more time at the dragstrip, go for it.

I have the street springs and honestly wouldn't want it any stiffer. Im way more of a corner carving kind of guy though.........I have the entire BMR catalog on my car and couldn't be happier with their products. Very nice stuff.

my car is the track pack option so I really havent done my research on how stiff , i do have Strange 10 way adjustable struts/shocks on all 4 corners which i leave at full stiff all the time except at the track which i do 6 front 10 rear or 7 front 11 rear .

im not too worried about the car not handling with drag spring, this was more of a cosmetic question , im an old school muscle car guy and to me a car has to have a little rake , from the sounds of it looks like CJ springs are the only ones that really drop the nose but that may be overkill for my daily driver .

will contact BMR see what they recommend , just want to wrap up the build so i can focus on paint correction and maintaining it looking new

thanks

lenny127

Established Member
I like the look of the front sitting a little lower then the back... You could buy BMR front springs, and just cut a coil out of your rears... Are you on Brembo packaged springs now?

ya track pack springs, getting old and lazy i rather pay and find the right set up for the look ..... since i dont run slicks (literally drag race it like you see in the pic) i slip the clutch and dump it after a few feet so weight transfer while important not as critical as if i was doing a full 7k dump off the line . justwould like for it to maintain the slight rake if possible ....if not oh well

here is a typical launch high 1.6s (this was before CJ and RST swap and before Strange adjustables and 19x10 track pack replicas that gave me 1/2 inch extra contact on the ground)

hoping to get close to 11.49 @119 Halloween track day and get the boot

http://youtu.be/jz0w74jCSoI

djclark

Established Member
Get the SP009s. They will fit the bill for what you want.

I run those with Strange 10 ways all around. Daily on 5f and 2r. Nice ride and still handles really well.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I had the Ford Racing P springs - Rode well but not low enough
I had the Ford Racing K springs - Perfect stance but rode like crap even with shocks and struts on full soft

Now I run the BMR drop drag springs and couldn't be happier. The car has the ride quality of the P springs with the stance of the K springs with the front being 1/4-3/8" higher. Most important for me is that the car actually has weight transfer now.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Ford Racing P/K springs? I have the 1" lowering springs do you know if that is the same as either of those that you had?

cjd223

Established Member
I am thinking about going Scott's route just on the rear springs. I have no desire to lower my car. OTOH I may just buy these springs. http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-cobrajet-dragsprings-0513.html I want the car to squat at launch. Weight transfer is the name of the game. Blower cars are heavy on the front. Wish I could buy just soft rear springs. It would be nice if someone offered something like the old South Side lift bars for our cars.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I am thinking about going Scott's route just on the rear springs. I have no desire to lower my car. OTOH I may just buy these springs. http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-cobrajet-dragsprings-0513.html I want the car to squat at launch. Weight transfer is the name of the game. Blower cars are heavy on the front. Wish I could buy just soft rear springs. It would be nice if someone offered something like the old South Side lift bars for our cars.

Got ya. i don't want to go any lower than what I am now. I need the car to transfer weight and my springs might be holding the back end up. Even with Viking shocks it doesn't want to transfer.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Relocation brackets work off the same concept as Southside bars...

You need drag struts or a lot of power to make either of them work.

It's easier to control a softer spring with shock settings, then it is a stiff spring.

BMR Tech 2

The SP009 work great for track and street duty. We have had customers drag racing on them for years and are very happy with their performance. That being said, we had people begging us for a dedicated drag spring so we came up with the SP068. They have a slightly lighter front spring than the front spring that comes in the SP009, which allows for a bit better weight transfer. Both sets of springs have great street manners, but the drag springs will perform better at the track. Both sets drop around ~1.5". The drag springs will drop a blown car a little bit more in the front because of the softer spring, but not on an N/A car. The same goes for the SP009, but the extra drop will be exaggerated with the SP068.

The drag springs still have great street manners because they're stiffer than stock, so don't worry about daily driving on them. You just won't get the rake that you're after with them. Here's a pic of a customer car with the drag springs installed.

MattU.jpg

lenny127

Established Member
The SP009 work great for track and street duty. We have had customers drag racing on them for years and are very happy with their performance. That being said, we had people begging us for a dedicated drag spring so we came up with the SP068. They have a slightly lighter front spring than the front spring that comes in the SP009, which allows for a bit better weight transfer. Both sets of springs have great street manners, but the drag springs will perform better at the track. Both sets drop around ~1.5". The drag springs will drop a blown car a little bit more in the front because of the softer spring, but not on an N/A car. The same goes for the SP009, but the extra drop will be exaggerated with the SP068.

The drag springs still have great street manners because they're stiffer than stock, so don't worry about daily driving on them. You just won't get the rake that you're after with them. Here's a pic of a customer car with the drag springs installed.

View attachment 53208

Thanks for the response , well if I'm going to lose my rake might as well do it on the better performing spring at the track .

I'll go with the drag springs then . Quick question , since I will be purchasing the lowering kit you guys offer w/drag springs , panhard , LCA relocation etc was wondering if there are any issues with relocation brackets on the LCA interfering with the CHE brace on my car . Haven't looked around enough to know , a friend said its no longer an issue but wanted to double check

6495C296-843A-4598-8BAE-26AEE2142375_zpscxslrean.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread