BMR spring install issues........Help please

mystickb1996

Established Member
Installing BMR handling springs BMR-SP066 on my boss LS.. not my first time installing spring on these cars as i have a 14 gt also. but im lost with this, when i go to install the front springs the mount wont sit flush, its hitting the other coil causing it to be all uneven when tightening. unless iv just went mad i dont see how to make these work. every time i tighten it the mount comes all apart and you can see the b-b's just bout to fall out. Notice the rubber dust shield sitting flat and the cone it goes into uneven above. not sure if these springs are a defect or i am. but im screwed because the car is sitting all apart and in my parking lot. pictures below.

20160507_110004_zps8hb2yqlo.jpg

20160507_105610_zpsqvuqbmky.jpg

20160507_105554_zps2tc6lhzl.jpg

20160507_105312_zpss0kud3me.jpg

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
yikes.. Do you have a spring compressor set, might try grabbing some of the lower coils and adjust them till the upper strut mount is level. Then run the nut down with your cordless impact. I have done a few sets of these BMR springs on mine and buddies cars.... and did what you did the 1st time I did mine, it got all cattywonkuss and those ****ing ball bearings went everywhere, was pissed...

... I can't believe Ford kept those shitty upper strut mounts on the LS Boss cars... I switched mine out for GT500 strut mounts, but that also requires an 05-10 style front strut.

FWIW this is the compressor I used

2265.jpg

Last edited:

mystickb1996

Established Member
Yes I'm using the same spring compressor. Well after a numerous attempts I came to the conclusion there's absolutely no way they will work. Also when installing the bmr spring without being compressed you can get the nut on the shock (you can do this as there shorter then stock) as soon as you tighten it, it gets all uneven. Or when fully compressed with spring tool and you put the mount on, tighten it down, as soon as you start releasing the tension and the spring comes up to the mount it folds the mount to one side as seen in the pictures. Great waste of a Saturday and now I'm reinstalling the stock springs with the mounts that will need to be replaced... Not happy

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
Call BMR. Those guys have been very helpful to me. My guess would be that you are trying to install a spring designed for a stock Ford Mustang GT strut on a racing strut that is designed slightly different which may also require specific springs. FOR EXAMPLE - FRPP makes two types of springs for Mustangs. one set is for stock struts and the other set is specific to their M-18000 series performance strut. I noticed your struts are not black in the photo but rather blue. Looks to me like specialty suspension especially since its a Boss LS which if I am correct comes with a racing performance suspension package that has adjustable struts/shocks. Could be your issue. Call BMR and sahre with them that you are not working on a stock factory Gt mustang or GT500. May shed some light on your issue. I have had zero issues with BMR aside from them not offering a front Drag Spring in a 1" drop (can't clear my front backing out of driveway with a 1.5R/1.5F drop). They are always very helpful. just don't tell them I didn't purchase their adjustable panhard this time because I got a deal on a never installed FRPP adjustable. Wish I had spent the extra money on the BMR after seeing FRPP's excuse for bushings. LOL! Good luck.

Last edited:

mystickb1996

Established Member
Dj you need to read through.. I had a spring compressor, used it. Not my first time installing springs

11gtcs

Established Member
My best guess would be that those springs are not compatible with those struts. I can't see how a spring compressor could fix that with the alignment being so far off.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
With spring compressed and strut mount on the shoulder of the strut piston it 'should' stay square. Though there could be an issue with the spring/wire. Sure one of the BMR guys will chime in.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
You have the the wrong top hats for those shocks, need to buy gt500 top hats.

Would be easy to tell with a pic of the strut sans spring and mount...the threaded rod is longer on gt500 style strut. Though I think these were the struts and strut mounts he was running with factory springs.

mystickb1996

Established Member
That correct the mount is the stock mount and strut came on the boss Ls. Not sure if a gt 500 mount would fix this issue but I'd assume it wouldn't, being that the mount in the picture worked with the strut prior to bmr spring.

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
Good to hear. Always best to go to the source of the product. If they fail you THEN seek third party assistance. That is how I like to do business. BMR is top notch on service and follow through.

BMR Tech 2

Hey Alex, I'm sorry to see that you're having this issue. We are looking into the root cause of the problem and attempting to get it resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread