BMR DSL010 not for aftermarket exhaust...

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Just installed the BMR DSL010 as a replacement to their rear brace/loop combo thats meant for OEM driveshafts.

It looks like the DSL010 isnt compatible with the Lethal Performance off road H pipe, and my guess is the off road X as well. Probably not compatible with a host of other exhaust combos.

The problem for the Lethal off road H is that the h exhaust merge portion hits the mounting brace. I had to expensively grind and modify that.

The loop itself was a whole nother box of marbles. Literally woud not clear the H crossover pipe. Seeing as it was late as hell, i was really tired and cranky I said to hell with the loop and notched the crap out of the arm. It now bolts up and clears the pipe. My guess is that its now a one time use loop, and I completely understand its warranty is bye bye.

Why not return it? Needed a loop for racing that didnt rub my driveshaft or have a potential to destroy it if my car ever got air for whatever reason. A trip to a decent fab guy that can position a new loop arm such that it immediately arches up then out to its position. As it currently is made, the arm comes straight out then arches up to position, thus creating incredible interferance issues with the non stock exhaust.

At least put a disclaimer in the sales literature that its intended for OEM exhaust pipes or that it could need extensive modolification to fit.....

BMR Tech 2

I'm sorry to hear that you had trouble with your DSL010. Situations like this are tough for everybody involved. We designed that loop over 10 years ago with the S197 chassis first came out and exhaust choices were pretty limited. We always try to make our products as compatible with other aftermarket parts, but sometimes it doesn't always work out. As time goes, on and more exhaust systems are released and it would be impossible for us to keep up with all the offerings on the market. It's just not feasible on our end to purchase and install every aftermarket exhaust for 05-14 GT, GT500, V6, etc... to verify fitment. Nor is it feasible for every exhaust company to buy every loop on the market to verify fitment.

We may revisit the DSL010 and update the design in the future when we have time, but as of right now, there are no plans to change or update it.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
+1

I notched the bracket on the passenger side and my lethal H pipe hangs a bit lower than I'd like. Actually seems easier for lethal (or an exhaust shop) to change the bends slightly and move the H connector further aft.

shelbysnake11

Established Member
Just installed the BMR DSL010 as a replacement to their rear brace/loop combo thats meant for OEM driveshafts.

It looks like the DSL010 isnt compatible with the Lethal Performance off road H pipe, and my guess is the off road X as well. Probably not compatible with a host of other exhaust combos.

The problem for the Lethal off road H is that the h exhaust merge portion hits the mounting brace. I had to expensively grind and modify that.

The loop itself was a whole nother box of marbles. Literally woud not clear the H crossover pipe. Seeing as it was late as hell, i was really tired and cranky I said to hell with the loop and notched the crap out of the arm. It now bolts up and clears the pipe. My guess is that its now a one time use loop, and I completely understand its warranty is bye bye.

Why not return it? Needed a loop for racing that didnt rub my driveshaft or have a potential to destroy it if my car ever got air for whatever reason. A trip to a decent fab guy that can position a new loop arm such that it immediately arches up then out to its position. As it currently is made, the arm comes straight out then arches up to position, thus creating incredible interferance issues with the non stock exhaust.

At least put a disclaimer in the sales literature that its intended for OEM exhaust pipes or that it could need extensive modolification to fit.....

I ended up ordering this same brace for my set up with the carbon fiber shaft. I have the lethal off road x pipe. It will in no way fit for the x pipe. Wish I had saw this before ordering or saw a disclaimer posted on latemodel saying may not work with aftermarket exhaust. The only warning was for long tube headers. Oh well looks like I will be returning mine.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Its a bummer man. In no way am i disappointed in the construction quality of BMRs components. But fitment issues are certainly frustraiting.

I modified the tunnel brace loop combo by cutting an inch and a half square out of the Center section of the brace portion and it allowed my one peice to be fully extended with no clearance issues. While im sure its effectiveness as a tunnel brace has been reduced, its literally there for me as a safety loop. And its only got to do its job once as far as im concerned.

The heavily modified DSL010 is still installed as its a PITA to install/remove. It will come off the next time i have to actually go in that area and make repairs.

shelbysnake11

Established Member
Its a bummer man. In no way am i disappointed in the construction quality of BMRs components. But fitment issues are certainly frustraiting.

I modified the tunnel brace loop combo by cutting an inch and a half square out of the Center section of the brace portion and it allowed my one peice to be fully extended with no clearance issues. While im sure its effectiveness as a tunnel brace has been reduced, its literally there for me as a safety loop. And its only got to do its job once as far as im concerned.

The heavily modified DSL010 is still installed as its a PITA to install/remove. It will come off the next time i have to actually go in that area and make repairs.

Yes the BMR construction was very nice and I was excited to add it to my build, but it looks like I will be going a different direction. Thanks for the post letting others know about the fitment issues.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Willie

Established Member
Kenneth, do you have any pics?
I have a safety loop also, but do not know the brand as it was installed by the original owner. I have a full 3-inch exhaust from the manifold back and a Bassani x-pipe and there are no clearance issues....

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
I removed my BMR loop and installed a CHE loop in its place. I used the CHE11A loop.

The fit is perfect with my Lethal ORH. The way it fits I can't see this loop getting in the way of any exhaust setup whatsoever. I actually think it fits better than the BMR loop around the driveshaft itself.

You do have to drill four 5/16" holes to mount the loop but you can install it without removing the driveshaft.

Users who are viewing this thread