Blue smoke?

julio

Established Member
Hey guys, I have read some of you 99-01 Cobra guys have some blue smoke on start-up after your car has sat for awile. Have any of you had this problem solved? I ask because I have I have a friend with a 03 Mach 1 and he told his did that yesterday( this thing only has 400 miles on it). Seeing as though he has the same cylinder heads (read valve stem seals ) as I have on my 03 Cobra (no smoke yet) I am curious to what you guys have to say...

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I have a 99 Cobra with 15K miles on it, which I store in the winter because I cant afford the insurance.. :bored:
I go to the garage and start it up whenever I get some free time from my class schedule, which is usually once a month.. maybe every 2 months...
After I crank it over... for the first 5 or 10 seconds when it's running, it blows out blue smoke too....until its belched out everything..
It's done it a few times, and I think nothing of it... my car came with the 60K warranty, which is still good for a looong time.
It runs strong every time I get it out for a few hours... and has only done it a few times... Im gonna check it out more carefully when I run it in a few weeks to see if it blows blue smoke..
I plan on adding a power-adder soon... ill be friggin p1ssed if my motor decides to go south as soon as I bolt it all on....
But, i live in a small enough town where my old high school buddies over at the ford dealer will keep thier mouths shut about the blower... ;-)
So... too much gas makes black smoke.... too much oil makes white smoke... WTF makes blue smoke??

99 Electric Green/Medium Parchment Cobra
Mac Cat-Back
Baer Eradispeed Rotors

TXFLYME1

Pay No Attention
Established Member
My car sits in the garage for up to two weeks at a time and I've never had any blue smoke or dark exhaust upon start-up for that matter. Its a 2001 with 12K. I would also like to know what's causing yours!

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Take it into the dealer & have them begin to document the problem (even if they can't replicate it). This will start a case history so to speak, so that it will make it easier to get a remanufactured engine later on down the road if need be.
If the motor is consuming oil, I would be a bit worried. Mine smokes every now & then when I start it up, but the consumption has always been very minute (roughly half quart every 2500-3000 miles, mostly attributed to driving style).

*Also, be sure to check/replace the PCV valve often. A Ford tech (from FlateRateTech.com ) mentioned this....hope it helps.

Just .02

Some info I have saved on my webspace (in text file format) from the old SVTOA message board regarding this topic:

Copy of thread part ONE

Copy of thread part TWO

Z06KILR

Established Member
My Cobra smokes on start up...i hear its pretty typical for 4V's to smoke on start up and consume a small amount of oil between changes....the amount, of course, depends on your driving/reving habits :)

lxtacy

My 01 did as well. From the time it had 50 miles to 1400 miles. Dealer said "This is normal" It was quite an embarrassing site for a new car. I no longer have the vehicle.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
I've had that happen - usually after a hard banzai pass at the track, then shut it off, then turn it back on after an hour or two.

I have never worried about it. I burn about a quart of Mobil 1 every 2000 miles, have no leaks, and pull 85-90 psi going down the road.

lxtacy

The major reason I sold my 01 was because of the wheel hop. I thought about installing a bullit rear, but became so frustrated the dream car went bye-bye. Being a die hard drag racer, I just could not see myself doing conservative launches worrying about half-shafts.
Keep pointing that nose at the sky!

dmark101

dmark101
Established Member
Originally posted by TXFLYME1
My car sits in the garage for up to two weeks at a time and I've never had any blue smoke or dark exhaust upon start-up for that matter. Its a 2001 with 12K. I would also like to know what's causing yours!

blue smoke?

my '01 has a little over 18k miles and i don't get any blue smoke at all. :(

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
I have only noticed this lately after I installed my Magnaflow Xpipe when the car sits for more than 4 or 5 days of no running.

Never did it before with the stock cats -- that I am aware of.

Does it for only a second and then is done ..... right on initial start up

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
bob, damn dude, u got a lot of oil pressure. how do u have your sender mounted.

mine is off the stock oil pressure sensor hole, with and elbow to get out of the way of the power steering. im guessing this might cause it to read lower.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Im just nervous. My car did this once again, sitting overnight. Its a week before my warranty goes up in procharged tire smoke. Im going to take my car to the dealer for a checkup.

-Homer

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
My 99 smoke on startup until I took it in for a wheelbearing and they said the click I heard on all the other cobras a I have driven wasnt normal. So they stuck in a reman, and no click, or smoke on startup. 1000 miles in the last 4 months.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Blue smoke is natural after a car sits for a long time. If it does it after a day or two, it's one of the many signs of a rich running engine which is also not too big of a problem as most Cobras are tuned to run really rich. Just let is warm up for a good 10 mins and let it get all the shit out of it's system.

fangstang

Established Member
my car smokes from time to time too. I was initially concerned when I frist saw it, but I think its cause it runs rich. Someone else told me this awhile back when I mentioned my car shoots fire out the back when I rip it from first to second.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Where are you guys getting the "if it smokes oil (blue), it must be because it is running rich" theory?? :confused:

FWIW - Mine has smoked blue smoke at start-up on occaision & it has happened both before & after I installed my exhaust. Adding an X pipe & a catback should have no effect...

99cobrablack - I too, would like to hear more details about how you obtained that reman engine. What steps did the dealer take? Did they do a consumption test or a compression test/leak-down test, etc ? Just curious, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread