Blue Oval Bash at the Beach November 9th-11th

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
well, Scott (Fangs99) wanted me to post pics of his EXPLODED ASS.........

IMG_1911_zps5f9026c4.gif

IMG_2377_zps07cfb04e.gif

IMG_5209_zpsdf3d348f.gif

should have a few more to follow of where he cracked his tube welds and the bent axle.

built 9" here he comes!!!

Last edited:

Bumblebee03

Established Member
It looks like the projected dates for next year are going to be October 25th & 26th. Nothing is set in stone yet. That is right before the time change so it should give us longer to race.

sdg97232

Established Member
well, Scott (Fangs99) wanted me to post pics of his EXPLODED ASS.........

IMG_1911_zps5f9026c4.gif

IMG_2377_zps07cfb04e.gif

IMG_5209_zpsdf3d348f.gif

should have a few more to follow of where he cracked his tube welds and the bent axle.

built 9" here he comes!!!

God damn scott go big or go home lol now thats how to brake something!

NTXRockr

Established Member
Crazy thing was he didn't seem to be really revving it much and it didn't lurch or jerk (i.e. start to move then stop after it snapped), which to me means he likely snapped it most of the way on burnout and then finished it off on launch (you still hear a "pop" on the video on launch). I've been there, done that...snapped off a 31 spline axle in a 9" spool, it did similar carnage and ended up having to buy new axles, spool, pinion and ring gears, the whole gamut - BUT I went back with 35 spline Strange axles/spool and 4.56 gears instead of the 4.10 that was in there, so the positive outlook is that he gets to upgrade!!! LOL let me know if you need help turning wrenches when the time comes.

fangs99

Established Member
Crazy thing was he didn't seem to be really revving it much and it didn't lurch or jerk (i.e. start to move then stop after it snapped), which to me means he likely snapped it most of the way on burnout and then finished it off on launch (you still hear a "pop" on the video on launch). I've been there, done that...snapped off a 31 spline axle in a 9" spool, it did similar carnage and ended up having to buy new axles, spool, pinion and ring gears, the whole gamut - BUT I went back with 35 spline Strange axles/spool and 4.56 gears instead of the 4.10 that was in there, so the positive outlook is that he gets to upgrade!!! LOL let me know if you need help turning wrenches when the time comes.

So you know how to build a 8.8 or 9 inch?

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
That was a 6500 rpm launch.

And this is why the carnage. Haha you just can't leave that hard in these heavy cars on a sticky tire man.. Mine weights 3240 and I blew one to pieces leaving at 4k on slicks especially in a turbo car not making instant torque. At 6500 you didn't give that rear a snow balls chance in hell.. Good luck with new rear

'03snkbt

Established Member
We're thinking that one of the pinion screws backed its way out and pinged around in the diff case working its way into the gears......then KABOOM

fangs99

Established Member
The rear was 31 spline FRPP axles, FRPP 3.73's, T/A Perf Diff cover, Eaton LS, welded axle tubes. I've priced out a built 9 inch..... Looking at $3100 shipped.

Last edited:

SwivelSawvel

Established Member
We're thinking that one of the pinion screws backed its way out and pinged around in the diff case working its way into the gears......then KABOOM

You mean ring gear! After looking we noticed that one of the bolts that hold the ring gear to the diff in place was missing and the rest were discovered loose (not even finger tight) so like snkbt said we believe it ended up somewhere it wasnt most likly during the burn out! I believe fang99's GF got a side picture of the ring which would show the missing bolt!!

'03snkbt

Established Member
You mean ring gear! After looking we noticed that one of the bolts that hold the ring gear to the diff in place was missing and the rest were discovered loose (not even finger tight) so like snkbt said we believe it ended up somewhere it wasnt most likly during the burn out! I believe fang99's GF got a side picture of the ring which would show the missing bolt!!

Lol.....oops.....cocktails are too strong tonight :rockon:

Ford2ner

Established Member
The rear was 31 spline FRPP axles, FRPP 3.73's, T/A Perf Diff cover, Eaton LS, welded axle tubes. I've priced out a built 9 inch..... Looking at $3100 shipped.

That's the thing, I've busted the hell out of my old 3300lb 295whp cobra with a 31 spline rear and we ran turbotrails old 2900lb 450whp fox coupe 100s of passes with a 31 spline that we've never had a problem with that rear

NTXRockr

Established Member

That's the thing about it, he does pretty hard burnouts but usually rolls into the power on launch, so the burnout made more sense at the time. However, he was running different tires that day and that plus a high launch rpm likely were the culprit. My vote: build you a bulletproof 9-inch with 31 or 35 spline axles and a 4.10 LS, then enjoy the hell out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread