Blue by American Express... Credit Union transfer question

svtcobra2k3

Established Member
I just applied for a blue by American express credit card because it says 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first year. Now, I don't have any other credit card, and I tried to fill out the balance transfer for a Personal Loan that I have with 13% Interest. However, it only allowed me to put a Credit Card transfer in. So I just applied for the card.

So my question is, when I receive this card, could I actually go to my Credit Union and pay off my Loan and get the 0% APR on the American Express card and start paying it off to the credit card instead of my bank? Would that be considered Cash in Advance and would I need to pay interest on that? I just want to pay off my Personal Loan so I can get rid of the high 13% interest.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
You should call and ask Amex if that transaction can be done as a balance transfer. I doubt it since it is an installment loan. I would guess they would tell you to take the cash advance.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
I work at a Credit Union. If you were to bring in a Credit Card to pay off a loan, it would show as neither a balance transfer nor a purchase. It would be done as a cash advance (which with the AMEX Blue is upwards of 20-30% APR). I would call AMEX and try to take care of it through them as a balance transfer. Good luck.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Gringo185 said:
I work at a Credit Union. If you were to bring in a Credit Card to pay off a loan, it would show as neither a balance transfer nor a purchase. It would be done as a cash advance (which with the AMEX Blue is upwards of 20-30% APR). I would call AMEX and try to take care of it through them as a balance transfer. Good luck.
Good to know.

RGrossman

Established Member
I've had several 0% CC offers that sent me a check that I could deposit into my bank and do as I please. Might want to look into this option.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
I have the Blue Card and I love it. It's definitely a good card. As far as the balance transfer stuff goes, I'm not sure.

You should definitely call Amex and check with them first. Cash advances from credit cards are a no no :nonono: . The interest is stupid high. Not worth trying IMO.

But they have good customer service. Call them and see what they say first.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
HaHa, this is funny, after reading this thread I was on the AMEX site checking my Gold card account and said what the hell, I'll apply for the Blue, you can't go wrong with 0%. Was approved in less than a minute and given my credit limit.
It is 4.99% on balance transfers FYI. All the specs are here: http://www201.americanexpress.com/a...undefined/undefined/undefined&mgmID=undefined
Your 0% term can be anywhere from 6 months up to 15. Seems like the best card I have gotten yet. -Mat-

svtcobra2k3

Established Member
I actually got a letter from AMEX for the Blue saying I am pre-approved for 0% on New Purchases and Balance Transfers for 12 months. Then after that, it will be 13%. Thing is, when I tried applying for the card, I selected "Balance Transfer" to transfer my personal loan, but it would only allow a Credit Card Number transfer.

I called up AMEX and told them I just applied for the card and I want 0% APR for my bank loan. They just said when I receive the card, to call the number on the back, and they would cut a check to the bank. Hopefully, it's as easy as it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread