blown speakers?

bolt01

Established Member
for you audio guru's i need help! i had just installed my new speakers along with my rockford fosgate 550x 4 channel amp last friday. My question is that for some reason when i turn up the volume my speakers that i had just installed starts to get distorted especially when i listen to music that has bass. is the speakers getting distorted because its blown or did i set the gain up too high on the amp. Speakers are diamond audio
s600s 61/2 component speakers.

bolt01

Established Member
are you guys talking about the gain on the amp or the gain on the headunit settings (like bass, treble,etc)?

trueblue4ver

Established Member
Yeh the gain on the amp should never be over half really. You need to make adj. on your headunit also. You def. didnt blow a pair of components on a Rockford 550x4. Turn you subs off if you have them...then turn your amp gain all the way down. Then turn your speakers almost as loud as you will listen to them and then start turning up your gain until it starts to distort or just sound a bit different than what you like. Then leave it and your set. Thats the best way to set your gains, if you dont have equiptment.

bolt01

Established Member
So dureing lunch break at work i decided to ajust the gain on my amplifier and amde little difference. I mean there was less distortion but speakers would still distort. then i notice that there was another knob next to the gain knob on the amplifier which was the crossover knob and decided to adjust that also and walla distortion disappeared. I actually had to adjust the crossover knob all the way to the right. I crank up the volume and no distortion. My new question now since i'm still kinda a newbe on car stereo installs is that if your component set already comes with a crossover, is it necessary to adjust the crossovers on the amplifier?

Users who are viewing this thread