blown spark plug symptoms

2001CobraDan

Established Member
Hey guys, I have an 01 cobra with a d1 on it and have recently had some problems. At first I was scared that it was rod knock. After my mechanic heard it, he assured me that it definately wasn't, it was coming from the top of the motor, the drivers side head, towards the back cylinder. Now at a best case scenario, I have been told that it may be a blown spark plug. The symptoms that I have been having are a ticking from the head (almost like an exhaust leak sound, it quiets down a little once the car is warmed up), popping coming from the tailpipes (sounds almost like a pop corn machine), and one time, some blackish water coming from one of the tailpipes. Other than these issues, the car seems to run fine (the temperature guage is normal and the oil pressure is still high). Does anyone know the symptoms of a blown spark plug? I have been told that these heads have weak threads and the plug can be blown out under boost. I would be thrilled if thats all this is!:banana: Help me out guys..... Thanks.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The ticking you're hearing probably is an exhaust leak. Since it quiets down after warming up. Moisture collects in the exhaust and the dirty water you're seeing is probably just the junk in the exhaust blowing out with the water. And if you blew out a spark plug, you'd know it. The car would run like crap. That leads to stripped threads which have to be fixed. Not really a good thing.

Iluvatar

Txyaloo scares me
Established Member
I blew a spark plug and the car instantly ran like garbage. You'd have one cylinder not firing so the car is gonna shake, be down on power, and the plug will be bouncing around in the head. Your noise is coming from the driver side so it should be extremely easy to pull the plugs.

BigRigTech

Blue blooded
Established Member
I pulled the plugs on my 01 to check the condition last week and in the process I found 2 loose plugs, no damage just barely touching the seat...A plug check/change is easy as pie on these DOHC engines....A total bitch on the 5.4 in my 98 Expedition....LOL

71catruck

Established Member
I blew a spark plug and the car instantly ran like garbage. You'd have one cylinder not firing so the car is gonna shake, be down on power, and the plug will be bouncing around in the head. Your noise is coming from the driver side so it should be extremely easy to pull the plugs.

I just did that last night. It sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread