Blown motor, God Damn

Ryan427

Established Member
I have a 2000 gt and have owned the car for going on 5 years now. When I got the car it had 18k on the clock. Today I hit 50k, then shit it the fan. A buddy was in town and I was out driving him around showing him the dealership I work at. I start on the on ramp just slight acceleration nothing hard just to join traffic and when the rpm's hit 3k it starts knocking. I let out thinking that shouldn't be making the noise. I immediately head for home. And it just getting worse in the mile I had to drive/coast home. I just don't understand how this could have happened. The car has even great not one issue. Changed the oil every 3k just like I should. I guess my question is where do I go from here?
234A99FF-4989-4B96-A096-25E54B85660A_zpsfwfziplp.jpg

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Sometimes shit just breaks. No manufacturing process is 100%.there are hundreds of parts to an engine and any of them may pass all the inspections but still be weak or fail prematurely.

I would see about trying to find a good running motor from a junkyard or whatnot and swap it over. I'm not a fan of stock rebuilds, if you are gonna Crack it apart and put it back together it better be done right and it better be way far from stock. I've always believed though once you pop open a motor the chances are it will never be the same or as reliable as a motor that's never been opened, so if your plans are to keep it stockist, just find another motor and swap it in.

Ryan427

Established Member
That's what I'm thinking but it sucks because I'm doubting I will find a motor with that low of miles. I don't see much point in trying to upgrade the motor, it would take so much to compare to the cobra.

bobby_0081

Established Member
You can easily find a low mileage 2V engine from a 05 and up Crown Vic. The short block I used when my engine started knocking had 27,000 miles. I bought the complete engine for 800 from a salvage yard and all that was wrong was the drivers side valve cover was cracked when they pulled then engine. It was from a 07 Crown Vic and looked great inside. I swapped the heads and cams for Trick Flow and sold the PI heads and cams. Low mileage 4.6's are pretty easy to find.

Ryan427

Established Member
As somebody said above I'm not sure if I want to overhaul it or replace it. I am thinking about replacing the rotating assembly with a 5.0 stroker and some trick flow heads with some mild comp cams. Don't know which route to go

VNMUS03

Established Member
Find a nice Mach engine or build the one you have. 2v's sound great. Spray it or boost it! Pick your poison. I personally would look for a Mach engine. I've always liked the shaker.

Ryan427

Established Member
I think your right. I will look for a Mach motor. Would that be better then a new 5.0 stroker rotating assembly in the 2v?

bobby_0081

Established Member
Anybody know where I can pick up a used Mach motor? Will it bolt up to a t-5?

I guess it will work with a T-5 if you have the correct bell housing. The Mach 1 engines in the manual trans cars have a better crankshaft but the same pistons and rods as your 2V engine and if it was an automatic Mach 1 then the bottom ends is nearly the same with the exception of the aluminum block. It would probably be cheaper to buy the Mach 1 engine than to buy the stroker and pay for all the machining work. The money you save will buy you a set of those Trick Flow heads you were talking about. I have a set and I love them, they are awesome. My car is a 2V with the heads and the cams and some bolt ons with a stock bottom end and a T-56 I made 335 RWHP and 333 RWTQ after some dyno tuning.

Tantrix

Established Member
Damn dude...I hope to never hear that sound. I just rolled 100k in my '98 Cobra, she's still running strong.

But anyway, a Mach 1 engine will put you in Cobra territory...they are virtually identical, and it will move you to a 4v.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread