Blown head gaskets

03shadowgreygt

Established Member
its a programmer right? take it out. its worth a shot, theres alot of us diesel techs out there that don't really worry about trucks with chips, especially because these are somewhat common problems anyways, if it dosen't work when you get the other stuff put on make sure you buy an oil and probbably egr cooler, that might be the problem more than the headgaskets. we replace alot more of them than headgaskets

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I was thinking about getting the egr delete pipe from elite diesel and just have them throw that one when they do the studs, gaskets, and injectors. I think that way I would be pretty much covered.

I had already taken the truck into Ford and they said they would not cover any of the warranty cost because of the exhaust and intake. Plus when they did the injector test, they said they new I ran a chip on it, I really dont know how they found this out, but thats what they said. Hey, now I just have to pay to play thats all. Im not one of those people that want to blow my truck up and then say ford has to cover it.

Fuxton

Established Member
Well Im pretty pissed now. lol. So i spent like a thousand dollars on arp studs and hypermax gaskets. Should be pretty much bullet proof now. I guess not. I blew the head gaskets for the 2nd time. Im lucky and found an awesome service department down here in sc and there covering it under warranty. I have no cat and they knew the chip was in there. I was pretty sure i had to sell the car to cover the cost for this again. lol

Fuxton

Established Member
im just running an sct tune w/ exhaust. And since the first mishap i have been taking it pretty easy. I was told it would be fine with just the studs or just the hypermax gaskets. i guess not. lol. They didnt tell me exactly what failed yet.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Fuxton said:
Well Im pretty pissed now. lol. So i spent like a thousand dollars on arp studs and hypermax gaskets. Should be pretty much bullet proof now. I guess not. I blew the head gaskets for the 2nd time. Im lucky and found an awesome service department down here in sc and there covering it under warranty. I have no cat and they knew the chip was in there. I was pretty sure i had to sell the car to cover the cost for this again. lol

Do you tow alot? How many miles did you get before it happened the second time? I just did ARP studs on my truck but only have 500 miles on it since...no problems yet. I run a SCT tune as well with exhaust(no cat) and intake.

Fuxton

Established Member
i towed a couple of times but not that often. Once was a pretty heavy load. I have about 15k on it now so about 13k. I have a feeling its the gaskets that caused the problem. They didnt exactly fit so they had to be modified. Hypermax said it should be fine. I guess they sent out a bad batch.

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Fuxton said:
i towed a couple of times but not that often. Once was a pretty heavy load. I have about 15k on it now so about 13k. I have a feeling its the gaskets that caused the problem. They didnt exactly fit so they had to be modified. Hypermax said it should be fine. I guess they sent out a bad batch.

Ah, maybe thats why. We just replaced mine with stock head gaskets. I was just doing some research on some of the diesel forums and its seems like replacing the stock studs with ARP head studs has been a fairly common cure to the puking coolant issue. From what I read, most are just using new stock head gaskets.

Users who are viewing this thread