Blown Head Gasket - Suggestions?

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
Well, I blew a head gasket while at the track this weekend. :cuss: I guess I'll have to take the top half of the motor off.

Any suggestions of what else to take care of while the engine is apart? I have a completely stock 93 Cobra that has a Cartech turbo kit on it making 6 pounds of boost.

What gasket should I use? Should I switch to studs? I've thought about new heads or a port and polish...

What would you do in my shoes?

9T3SVT

Established Member
hollant said:
I have a completely stock 93 Cobra that has a Cartech turbo kit on it making 6 pounds of boost.

What gasket should I use? Should I switch to studs? I've thought about new heads or a port and polish...

What would you do in my shoes?

Do what I did, AFR's, ARP Studs, ROL high temp gaskets, and have the lower ported. The only thing I didn't do was the cam and I regret that now.

I am very happy with this combo and have not had any problems.

ROL Gasket Info

ROL site link

Fiveoh93Snake

Snake Bitten!
Established Member
I'd have to agree w/ 9T3SVT; definately while your into it that far go ahead and do some research on a good cam for your application. Being your runnin a turbo the right camshaft could reap huge gains but the wrong bumpstick could even kill your combination so do some research. One place I'd check out: http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/ If you can swing the AFRs right now that would be a very good idea; simply can't go wrong with a set of those. With a stock shortblock you will have to go with the AFR165s. If you do go w/ a cam swap be sure that whoever your dealing w/ understands that you are on a stock shortblock and your RRs are 1.7 ratio. Depending on the cam grind you may or may not have to switch to 1.6RRs. :coolman:

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
no buddy has asked this man his budget yet !

in the first post he mentioned he had thought about heads. That's why I through my suggestion out there :shrug:

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
Yeah, I am thinking about it, It will depend on the condition of the heads when I pull them...

SilverSnake91

Established Member
I have tried both the ROL head gaskets and the Fel Pro gaskets and I have blown both. I am currently using Cometic gaskets. They are a little on the expensive side, but are well worth the extra money.

Users who are viewing this thread